Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cephalopholis

Building a No Money Limits Surf Rod

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Over the winter I want to build myself the best surf rod I can. Right now I'm using a new of the rack Lami Surf King I got right here from Tim (not bad-thanks)......dat said-I'm looking for the best parts I can get for the job. What do you peoples (IYO)

think are the best parts (blank, guides, reel seat,threads,epoxy, etc.), top o' the line- for doing this? size and usage:

11' surf cast- using abu euro big water red 7000 reel. mono or fire 20 to 30lb test, chunking with 5-8 ounce weight. confused.gif

Any thought's are apprecieated

WHat is best - the best guides are without question Titanium Framed SIC. Their biggest advantage is they do not rust, and have fancy pants SIC rings, which allow you to tell your buddies my rod kicks yor rods ass. They also offer Titanium plate reel seats, as well as brand new from Custom Tackle Supply Low Rider woven graphite reel seats, I'm not quite sure teh model # on these, but they are great for a spinner. You want a conventional, possibly a trigger? Well the most expensive trigger seat Fuji makes is a Rubberized seat, which runs about $25-30.

Blanks? Most expensive I can think of is a Zziplex or COnoflex.

Most expensive doesn't translate into the best choice for all applications though. I dont' surf fish so I cannot tell you what's what, but I can't see you going wrong with one of the Arra's & regular Alconite or SIC guides.

Curious, have you built any rods before? IF not, I'd hold off on using the most expensive, top of the line stuff until you are able to make a rod whihc is worthy of that type of stuff. imo. THat's not a knock on you, I hope you don't take it that way.

Billy 40, I Don't feel like I took any knocks tongue.gif

I've made a few rods already and plan to make a few more before I make my dream stick.

I'm a skilled artist/capenter and learn quickly!

Also, I'm not looking for the "Most" expensive anything. I'm looking for the best "Quality" money can buy.

I'm learning how to wrap complex patterns at the moment and, will not even try to make an attempt

untill I'm 100% satisfied with my skills,(who wants to throw away money).

I am also interested in the "WHY" someone thinks the

parts they list are the "Best". To me the knowledge of "why"

something is good quality is just as important as having good quality. an informed builder is a better builder! biggrin.gif

With the guides, to a point you get what you pay for. I do not see an advantage using SIC rings for the fishing we do here. For all intenets and purposes, the Alconites will perform just the same as SIC. Unless someone can prove to me otherwise, that's my stance.

The guide frame is another story. HArdaloy uses a different grade of stainless than SIC. So the same frames will be lighter and stronger when you use an SIC guide as opposed to a HAraloy. Also, imo - the SIC frames are also a little more resistant to rusting. The COncept guides are not offered in HArdaloy, but they are in Alconite. They use the exact same frames as SIC, the only difference is the ring material is different. So they are the same weight, same rust resistant-ness, but teh SIC's are shiny, smoother and dissapate heat better. And they are SIC so you can show off - the biggest advatage to SIC imo

Titanium & Ion/Titanium coated guides are the top of the line frames, both feature SIC or Cermet rings. Cermet is a waste of money for actual fishing unless you got it like that. TI coated frames are even more resistant to rusting than the Stainless Concept guides. NOt rust proof. THe also felt lighter to me, but I did not do a side by side comparison of the 2. TItanium frames are rust proof. They will not rust, at all, period. NO maintenace, no worries. The frames are also very light, noticeably when compared to teh other guides.

URL=http://www.visualwrap.com/cgibin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=12;action=display;num=1050441514]Fuji Guide codes[/url]

I'm learning how to wrap complex patterns at the moment

I am planning to do a butt wrapping get together at my shop this Winter. I promise to make you more confused. lol.

Actually, Gold Cermet guides are

better. From a Technical standpoint, They are lighter, thinner, smoother, and twice a strong as Silicon Carbide. They're about twice the price too.

"Cermet is a waste of money for actual fishing unless you got it like that."

ACTUAL fishing - what difference will someone notice using a rod with Cermets, and is that difference worth 2x? If they got it like that, then by all means.

Someone here has a KILLER surf rod with Black framed Cermets (not Gunsmoke), with a size 16 ring tp. They don't make either of these components, but this guy is a rocket scientist and he made them on his own. lol.

Billy, I guess I have to show off for ya!! eek.gif

I like my Ti framed gold cermets...

Wish they made em in the HH frames and up to a 40 frown.gif

I'll let you fish with the Alconites tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Not sure if I missed it...

Spinning or conventional?

"Cermet is a waste of money for actual fishing unless you got it like that."

ACTUAL fishing - what difference will someone notice using a rod with Cermets, and is that difference worth 2x?

If your just chunking/conventional...IMO don't go overboard financially on guides. I'd drop the money on the blank. I built on a zipplex once (forget the model) ,I couldn't flex the butt section and the rod could probably throw 8oz. and a cat a long way!! SIC is a good thing for a "no money limit" rod.

If you were building a plugging rod... like canyondiver says... go all out with Ti/cermets. unfortunately cermets tip selection and guide selection are kind of limited. (I'd work overtime in freezing rain for a Ti/cermet 40 HH !)

Most appreceiative for the info icon14.gif

Now I have some sort of base to start looking from!

As far as the blanks go are any of the mentioned 2 piece?

Since I have to get around by subway and bicycle...one piece would not work.

MML: good thoughts I'll give it a try when next I change my line.

Also:Butt wraps..I read somewhere here at SOL something about some one using the same grip wrap that's used for tennis rackets. Sounded SWEET to me?

Any thoughts on this- any body?

Ceph,

If youre looking for the BEST 2 piece meat slinging rod, the one you want is Lamiglas 136 2MH. Its Two pieces, can throw upto 10 oz, very light, and will fight any fish these waters have without problems... If youre interested, I have a few blanks in my shop. PM me for more info.

BC