Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tiderunr

Blank opinions needed....

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

First up: Lami GSB1321M as an 8nbait heaver. Just got a positive opinion on this recently, but it could'nt hurt to hear more. I ask because I built a GSB1221MH last winter only to find I'm not big enough to load this pool cue with guides properly.

Next case: A lighter conventional chunker, say 4oz. and a chunk. I'm thinking Rainshadow SW 1209 or the new SU 1208. What'cha think?

TIA guys, all opinions welcomed.

Don't think either is a good choice...maybe the sw1209 for small sinker and chunk but the 1321M is NOT able to throw 8Nbait. If you like Lami then a 1361MH or 1364M glass are good heavers...look at the Breakaways also, 1508 0r 1509, the 1508 loads easier but the 1509 out guns them all once you master it.

Check with BC about the SU1209...he likes it alot, might fit all your needs

In spite of it's rating I don't think the GSB1321M is up to the task. Not 8 ounces and bait. I can do six plus a small chunk in a pinch but the rod doesn't feel happy. This rod easily handles the likes of 1 1/2 bucktails, it's a terrific blank but I don't see it as heaver material.

Steve

I would trim the tip off a 1364m if you have a problem loading the longer heavier sticks. The 1364m is 11'3" not 11'6". If you brought it down to 10'10"/9" or so it would be easier for you to manage and would fit the 8 and bait bill. The often mentioned 1213m at 10' is a great light heaver and will rip 6 oz and bait and can certainly handle any fish. It loads slow and deep and you'll get out of the cast what you put into it. I think the 1209 might require a lttle to much for you to throw easily. Forget about the 1321m as a chunker, its a big/wood/pencil rod.

GSB1321M is not a chunking stick. The Rainshadow SW1209 is Ok for 4+bait, 6 will work too but not great.

I would recomend a Rainshadow 1418 (same as the Allstar). Will cover chunking from 4-8 +bait and is a great rod. You could throw 3 oz tins with it too.

If ou want to throw 8-12, get a GSB 1361MH, or a Rainshadow 1508 or 1509 (again same as Allstar)

The allstar 1209 is good for 4 plus bait. They say the rainshadow SU1209 is the same , i don't know for sure. For the samll price differencial i've stayed with the Allstars. that lami as a 8 and bait heaver....?????

If you don't mind a heavy (18 oz on the blank alone) glass rod, the 136 4M will throw from about 4 to as much as you'd ever want to cast.

The 132 1M tops out around 5. Not an 8 and bait by any stretch of the imagination.

I haven't got around to having the 136 1MH blank in the basement built, but at 11-1/2' it might be a little easier to load than that 122 1MH.

I would have to agree with all here that the two rods choices at the start of the thread are not 8nBait rods. What I find intresting in this thread is the thoughts on what it takes to load these Lami's. Both the Lami Glass rods and the GSB series rods are like wet noodles. Dry casting them without any weight is more than enough to put a bend in them. When you hold the rod at the butt and shake them there like cooked pasta. For 8 oz casting you need a crisp rod with plenty of power in the butt and mid section. I agree the Lami Glass rods will handle the weight. But its a real spongy feel trying to cast them. I know they have a following with fisherman. I guess there just not my cup of tea. But I find it hard to believe that anyone has a hard time to load one on a cast. Big Dave

Jeff Morris I think you nailed it. Something with some flex is what I believe will do it. A little

stiffer than glass, but not so much so.

b]Oz[/b]I'll have to look into that Rain 1418.

Ditch The 1361MH is an even bigger beast than the 1221MH to me. Test casted one (it wasn't pretty)

Big DavePicture a surf rat under 140lbs. trying to load up this kind of payload for a cast. In retrospect, I now see that I should have mentioned that in my original post.

To all that replied: icon14.gif

[ 11-17-2004, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Tiderunr ]

if you want a lami for 8nbait.. go with the 150-2 or the 144-2... awesome sticks.. lightweight for what they will do but you don't want to use them often under 6 oz...

regarding the 1418.. incredible stick, but i wouldn't want to fish it much with 8... just my 11 cents.