Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Finch

Book Comments

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Reading varioius rod building boards and many posts on this one here I decided that I would have to hunt down a copy of the Clemens book Advanced Custom Rod Building. It is usually represented as the "be all, end all" of rod building reference books. The "bible" is how many describe it. I found one on eBay and managed to win it for just over $50. It arrived about two weeks ago and I've now read it cover to cover and some parts over again.

With all due respect to Mr. Clemens, this is not the "be all, end all" rod building reference book. At least not these days. About the half the book contains information on parts and pieces that aren't even made anymore. Stuff that's easily 20 years old or more. The technical aspects of the book are anything but technical.

I'm not running the book run and it's not intent to say bad things about it. But after reading over and over how it was the "bible" of rod building reference books I was very disappointed. I can think of at least two others I've bought in the past couple years that were more helpful and one that is much better in regard technical explantions of certain things.

So, my recommendation for anyone who is looking for the "bible" of custom rod building books is to keep looking beyond the Clemens book. I'm glad I bought it and will keep it on my reference shelf but it's pretty outdated at this point. Not that it's bad, but not what I was expecting after all I'd heard and what I had to pay to get it.

maybe you would have like it a little more if you got it here... Sorry Paul Links are not allowed. Please send the info via PM or email. Thanks for your understanding

[ 12-13-2005, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Big Dave ]

Sorry to hear you were disappointed in the book. There are some new "concept" theories of rod building and rod guide materials today that did not exist in Clemens day but that's the major difference. Overall the book: "The New Advanced Custom Rod Building" holds up very well as "The Book".

For updates in theories and guides I would also use Tom Kirkman's book.

You really paid $50.00?

When I got interested I just went to my local library and checked the book out for a couple weeks. I have read a couple other books on the subject, and while I agree the Clemmens book is a bit dated I did find it useful and informative.

$50 seems pricey cwm13.gif .

Alan