Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scotmcpherson

2013 July Fishing Reports

166 posts in this topic

Long story short one of my kids at work gave me a brand new bait casting out fit ( he had no idea how to use it) .I spooled her up with fresh line and took it out in the pouring rain yesterday morning . Nailed 3 nice LMBs and one of the biggest Pickerels I've tangled with in a long long time. I fly fish but I got to admit it felt good throwing a plug out fit around .

Nice cat! It's been awhile since I caught one in that size but they are a beast to bring in. Now that I'll be fishing nights more often in the next month because of the dog days, maybe I'll hook into one of those bruisers again. August is channel cat time at the lake.

It's been a couple weeks but I finally went out last night, 8-10. Topwater and spinnerbait before dark produced zero bites, switched to Gulp minnow worms after dark and action was immediate. 7 dinks and a 4 lber, most of them in the last hour.

The sea was angry my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli. :laugh: Since it seems like summer was transitioning into a wintern pattern we decided we would give it a shot. It's been two weeks since I've been out on the water so I could care less what the conditions were. We started our trip off at "The Hump" and instantly got bit by schools of piranha bluegills. These things were tanks, can't wait to hit them when it ices up. Lost about ten bucks in fancy Japanese drop shot baits but we did scrap together a handful of decent brown fish and a few snot rockets. When the sun dropped I sat down the kiddie rod. We didn't mess around doing any searching since we didn't plan on making it a late one so we just hit our best spots. Well every spot, mostly wind blown points, had groups of smallies and largies feeding pretty heavy. We thought the wind would die off as it got later, wrong. Fishfinder was going nuts the whole time; I could still hear the beeps later in my sleep. They were crushing big wakebaits and my buddy was doing most of his damage by either dragging plastics in deeper water or throwing the jerkbait. We called it earlier than usual but we caught the entire time on the water. Most fish were around the 2lb range but we had a couple nice sized brown.

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/content/type/61/id/1614494/]

Great report SMF! nice looking brown bass.

This cooler weather has been so nice lately! Water temps dropping to safe level, so I had to get out for a couple hours yesterday morning... threw some big blades, and large topwater hoping for some teeth. Had a giant blow up on a WTD bait, white water everywhere, but fish totally missed it. NO hooks! Oh well, got the heart pumping.

Coupla LMBs, a black crappie and I think I hooked into the same gigantic pickerel I got to the boat last time I was at this lake (didn't get him to the yak this time). Niceday for it anyway.

Friend and I got our new PB's on consecutive days. His was yesterday, mine was today. Both were just around 6 pounds, both caught on a koppers frog. This is his:

And this is mine:

Both released