Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rodder

What is Ideal surf rod ?

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Possible the answer would be the lightest that can handle all fish available.Here on the west coast the demand is for the lighter rods. Normally from lengths 11'to 13' with tip size #8 max. These we normally use for all fishing along the coast for perch, crocker and striper with occaasional salmon. As a rod builder since 1947 have seen this trend toward lighter rods prevail. The most lami sb1200/1300 series tips #11 through #15 in use on this coast are with the sturgeon fishermen on the Colubia river. Am not knocking the heavy surf rods. But wonder why the need for them? Is it the rocky coast? I have had inquiries for rods from the central east coast and sort of groupping for some info. Al Tennat

Al .It depends on what you mean by central east coast , up Jersey way something along the lines of a breakaway 11-9 will handle 90% of my fishing casting weights upto 7oz . Further south they like 8oz and bait more and need something more substantial , down there I switch up to a zziplex primo syncro .