Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeyDaGreat

Fish caught on SP Minnows (pics)

Rate this topic

619 posts in this topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peleak View Post

I've only caught several schoolies off of a green mackerel SP and blue one. Hoping to land a keeper soon as a new fisherman! Nice catches folks!

Good luck, SP minnows are probably one of my favorite lures to throw, they'll do you well, just try to vary your retrieve here and there, and see which one works.

I personally like to reel in quick 3-4 cranks, then sweep the rod to the side slowly, and reel in the slack, and get ready in the strike position.

That seems to work for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchellgoosen View Post

What rigging do you guys recommend for a very slow retrieve. Last night I was crawling it and noticed it had almost no action. Don't remember my rigging, but found it somewhere on this page.

I use 1/0 4x vmc trebles with owner 70lb splits, and this setup has action even when retrieved slowly.

No rear hook helps. You can add a flag if you want to keep the longer profile, but the rear hook stiffens it up.

I would also stick with floaters for slow wiggle (sinking ones don't move quite as much), or you might want to consider a redfin or bomber for that very slow retrieve.

What rigging do you guys recommend for a very slow retrieve. Last night I was crawling it and noticed it had almost no action. .

Just because you don't feel it doesn't mean its not working - cant count how many times I've been picked up without feeling the lure - seriously . If you want to target Large rig it with VMC 4X 2/0 both belly and tail and with better quality/stronger split rings...

It seems guys tend to over think these things sometimes with the different setups.. This lure rigged this way will put 30 & 40lbers on the beach for you...

Steve

No rear hook helps. You can add a flag if you want to keep the longer profile, but the rear hook stiffens it up.

I would also stick with floaters for slow wiggle (sinking ones don't move quite as much), or you might want to consider a redfin or bomber for that very slow retrieve.

Yep using floaters. Gonna pop the back hook off one and see if that helps. I did fish it right after bombers and redfins so maybe that's why I thought it looked different.

Just because you don't feel it doesn't mean its not working - cant count how many times I've been picked up without feeling the lure - seriously . If you want to target Large rig it with VMC 4X 2/0 both belly and tail and with better quality/stronger split rings...

It seems guys tend to over think these things sometimes with the different setups.. This lure rigged this way will put 30 & 40lbers on the beach for you...

Steve

Pretty sure that's the rigging I have on all mine. I'm usually fishing in more current though so I thought I could try a little different set up to give some more action. I saw the sp coming in during that last 10 feet and it looked like a needle. The only reason I question is my 2 Buddies were banging fish and I didn't get a tap. There's aren't altered, strait out of the box. Guess it was that mother of pearl color they were using.