Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishweewee

"8 & Bait" vs. "Heaver"

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Al,

What is the difference between "8 & Bait" vs. a "Heaver?"

What are the intended uses (I guess it boils down to "where") for these applications?

Thanks for clarifying.

-FWW

I agree with Brian. The classic "Hatteras Heaver" was the first true "8 and Bait" rod. These rods were typically 12+ feet long.

With the resurgence in the striper fishery and the success of the chunking method, more and more fishermen employed casting chunks into the Northeast surf. Instead of calling it a "Hatteras Heaver" or just heaver, they described a rod capable of casting 6-8 ounces of lead plus the cut bait, aka "8'n Bait".

The first rods I came across in the Northeast meeting these specs were built by Roy Brouwer up in Mass fishing the Canal and outer Cape beaches on a Lami SB121-5M. One serious "8'n Bait" stick.

Al

Thanks for clearing that up Al (Mully too).

I didn't think there was a difference other than the colorful colloquial monikers...but I was confused nonetheless.

For a conventional reel surf bait-dunking rig, what is the most important attribute of the blank? Backbone to heave 8 ounces of lead plus a few more ounces of meat?

Tell me if I'm wrong about this...during the daytime chunk, maximal distance does help (although it is not everything), so efficient rod loading becomes critical. Less so at night when fish are right in the wash...

Al-what length does that Lami blank come in? One-piece?

-Ben

I didn't think I was that much older than Al wink.gif

Actually, the very first true Heavers I can remember were invariably ten footers, ten and half max, and were fashioned from the Lami 13 foot E Glass blank series, most all of the cutting done from the tip, often all the way down to a size 32 cwm24.gif These were patterned after rods developed by Virginia Beach's Tidewater Angler's Club, which absolutely dominated US distance casting events back in the "pre-pendulum" days. I still have one, gathering a bit of dust these days.

FWW,

The SB121-5M is 10 feet. Like any open beach surf rod you want to be able to reach certain selected areas where the fish will feed. During the day those areas tend to be further out so casting performance is an issue.

Bill, I am ancient.

Al

Got a great site for you to check out. www.breakawayusa.com Most are long distance competition casters at heart but all use their Allstar blanks for fishing in Hatteras. Check out the message board for surf casting. They have some great 8nBait rods. I bought the 10'6" caster and I am waiting patiently for that darn UPS truck to stop by . I have to say I did my research and in my opinion pound for pound Breakaway is better than the others!

Disclaimersmile.gif I have no relationship with these folks or their products.

[This message has been edited by MarkL (edited 10-12-2001).]

a couple of the "new" models are the 'OUTCAST' & the 'Lami 1502'.

both are capable of 8& bait ; the older 2/1piece Breakaway, the Pinnacle; the Loomis1408(rumors of breaking) are all good rods . try as many as you can get your hands on . when you find 1 that fits you buy it !!

derf

Hey MarkL...

Two April's ago I acquired a stock two piece Breakaway 11 3/4 surf stick to lob "8 and bait." Bought it @ the Red Drum tackle shop in Cape Hatteras.

I was interested in comparing the capabilities of this stick with the Lami that Al Goldgerg mentioned.

It's better than the Loomis 12 foot heaver that I had at the time ... the walls on the Breakaway blank are noticeably thicker than the Loomis.

Just wondering if there is something better out there.

-FWW