Dual purpose guide spacing and size ?

Rate this topic

Sudsy

How do you go about figuring the distance from the reel seat to the first guide when building a dual purpose spinning/conventional stick ??

Any kind of formula based on the diameter and distance from the edge of the blank to the center of the spool on the spinning reel ??

I'll experiment with it til it feels right but it'd be nice to have an idea where to start.

Also, what size stripper guide to match a 704 size reel - 25 ??

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

Sudsy, on the dual purpose rod I built for the test cast, all I did was think about how those Fuji LC surf guides start with a 20, 39 1/2" from the reel seat on a 12.5 ft rod. I just eyeballed what a 9ft to 12.5 foot "ratio" would look like.

Putting a 25, 33 inches from the reel seat on a spinning set up looked VERY strange. Put a conventional reel on it and it doesn't look too bad.

But as we discussed in NJ...there are those spots that when the wind comes up , swapping reels is alot easier than heading back to the truck for the spinning rod. Let me know how it works.

North East Rodbuilders

Jerry,

The typical rule of thump is that a conventional starting point is the first guide would be 30" from the face of the spool, and on a 9'-10' spinning rod the first guide is 34"-36" from the face of the spool. When using braid lines on a spinning rod it doesn't really matter about the chokeing of the line as with mono. I built a 9' concept rod for spinning and the first guide was 30mm and about 34" from the reel face, and it casted extremly well. Putting a conventional reel on the rod should do just as well.

Tight lines,
Eric