Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prefessa

Lami MB108 3M vs. SMB108 3M

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Al:

Help me straighten this out here. The E-glass MB108 3M is rated 1-3 ounces and has a 7 tip. The SMB108 3M has a 9 tip and is rated at 1/2-1 ounce.

Question???? How could a rod, from the same mandrel, using higher modulus fiberglass, sport a larger tip size and be rated for lighter lure wts??? Is this a typo? This doesn't make sense?

From your experience what is the true tip size and lure wt range of each rod. And in terms of pluggin' the beaches with braid using from say 7/8 ounce to ~ 2 ounces, which is better suited?

Prefessa,

There are so many discrepancies in the Lami catalog I just go from experience. I will have to check the tip size on the SMB963M when I get home.

Lami just came out with a composite CMB842F that I am anxious to play with.

Al

Prefessa, the 1/2 to 1 rating is one of the several Lami catalog typos on the MB / SMB series which still have not been corrected. I'm sure Todd at Lami will get around to that soon wink.gif I agree that the tips sizes are almost certainly the same, but am not sure which is correct.

The SMB108 3M, by the way, was originally, and for years, cataloged at a pretty darn accurate 1 to 3 1/2 oz. rating.

They may have fixed this one in the catalog.

The SMB 108 3M is listed in the 2001 Lamiglas Blank catalog as having a .925 butt with an 8 1/2 tip for lure wts. 1- 3 1/2oz and an average wt of 7 1/4 oz.

The MB 108 3M is listed with a .950 butt and a 7 tip with lure wts. 1-3 oz and an average wt. of 7oz.

I've got two MB1083M's right here....they both have a 7 and a butt of .94". The SMB1083M I have is wrapped and fishes frequently, exact measurements are not possible smile.gif

The rating for the SMB1083M is quite accurate, except I find it very usable down to 5/8oz. I've been using it exclusively for the past two trips and have been well pleased with it's versatility. It fights fish well, casts well from 5/8oz to 3oz (*I haven't tried to cast anything over 3 but doubt it would have a problem even at 4oz), and it's one of the very few spinning rods I feel comfortable throwing a rigged eel with.

Boy, so many sticks I'm falling in love with these days...I'm starting to feel unfaithful to each of them failing to be able to commit to just one icon15.gif

Now I gotta wrap a GSB102 1L, a MB108 3M, and another GP964 but in conventional. I really need to find more time to fish to give them all a workout wink.gif

TimS