Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JEEPSTER

tip wagging

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

I am having a problem with a rod I'm doing right now. It is a all star 1209 cut about 6-7 inches of the top and added a 2 1/2' butt section to it. The problem is when I cast the tip wags back and forth I've change the stripper guide to a 30 and moved it multiple times along the blank. Using it with an abu 7000 and mag elite 6500

It is spaced about 33" from the front of the reel. Any help to resolve this would be great.

ps John M I'm gettin about 120-130 with 8-10 out of it

I'm not sure at all how to solve your problem, but I am interested in the amount of weight that rod can throw.

I think big dave has told me in that past that he has cast a 12 oz. bank sinker on a 1209 that has not been cut. Am I right Dave?

Are you sure the tip wagging is a problem?

I cut it to do 12 oz plus a head so you are up around 14-16 oz's after all is said and done. The 1209 could handle 12 stock I think and load up nicely but I was looking for a gorilla stick to battle with sharks.

I have it set up with a 30 25 20 and 16 to the tip which is 16 also. Maybe I should change out the last 3 guides and go down to 12's it may funnel the line better and stop the tip wag. It's wierd this is the first heaver I've ever built and it's giving me fits. I'm gonna try the 12's and see what happens. Any heavy bait casters out there have any ideas

I use a Lami 10' 2 piece rated 4 to 12 oz. for heavy baits in the surf.

Lami has a 1 or 2 piece (GSB 144 2MH) rated 6 to 16 oz.. It's 12 ft. You could cut all you want off the butt end or check their catalog which is available for download at their site. biggrin.gif

MrWoodwork,

I have lami's and love them but I couldn't pass the 1209 up I got it for a steal as the kid behind the counter didn't know what it was. I know about the big lami but I'm not buying another stick for this purpose. I've got some more homework to do and if I can't figure it out I'll bring it up to my dad and let him fart with it.

How far outside of the box do you want to go? It sounds like the weight of the guides is causing this to happen. What exact guides are you using, Manu & model? What size line are you using, will a shocker knot pass through the guides, Mono or braid?

If the guides aren't wrapped yet, try your 30 stripper with a 20, then all 12's. This is not my area of expertise, but I do tink most rods use way too heavy of guides, and I really don't understand why people go down one size at a time - the line doesn't know if the guides are in order.

That blank is too heavy for BNLG16's out to the tip to give it any trouble,I use them on fast action heavers and they work fine. Sounds to me like the guides may be mounted off the axis of the spine, did you spine it carefully, and if so, where did you mount the guides in relation to the spine?