Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duckwump

Trim Wraps

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I am building a surf rod using regular black nylon A thread for the underwrap and regular black nylong C thread for the overwrap. I would like to add a trim band of metallic gold thread at the each end of the "wrapping". The way I have done rods previously was to use metallic thread as my under wrap and have the underwrap extend beyond the over wrap.

I have never done trim wraps before and being new to rod building I suspect that I am going to have difficulties in adding the trim bands the normal way.

Dale Clemems demonstrates a way (on page 238 of his Advanced Custom Rod Building) to put trim wraps on the over wrap using precut lengths of thread taped on the blank. I would like to try that method.

This means that unlike my earlier rods, the overwraps on the new rod would extend beyond the underwrap. My question is will that cause any problems?

I realize this is probably a dumb question but I don't want to screw this project up.

Thanks again.

Tom aka Duckwump

Duck,

That's your three for today.

Simply shorten up your black underwrap and finish each end with gold to the desired length of the underwrap. Then when you do your overwrap in black you can leave as wide a trim band as you want. That is the way I do it. Just be sure you wrap with both size A thread for both the black and gold.

Al