Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saltheart

Picture of Al's workbench

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi Al,

I'd be interested in seeing pictures of you lathe and workbench area. I have to get better organized on mine and am looking for ideas. Please post a picture or 10 smile.gif of your work area if you can.

Thanks

Saltheart

Salt - Are you trying to make us jealous of Al?? Just kidding, I'd like to see too. There has to be some trick in order to have 20+ rods in progress at once, and have them come out as sweet as they do. I have enough trouble doing 1 at a time. And boy do I make a mess after that 1. Thread scraps all over, dust from cork/foam, tape pieces stuck everywhere along the bench, residue from guide grinding, papers, magazines, epoxy, CP, brushes, paper towels, alsohol bottles, AHHHH - I feel like cleaning up now.

cwm14.gifcwm14.gif

Billy

Salt and Billy,

The key to working on a number of rods at one time is having a "drying box" to allow the fisnish to cure in a dust free area. I can have four rods turning at once. Rods in the dry box either have color sealant or finish drying.

At anytime I will have at least 8-12 rods in some stage of in process. Handles on waiting for the glue to cure. I glue up 4-6 rods with grips at the same time. 4 rods with underwraps on with either color sealant or finish curing. A rod on the bench being wrapped and four rods in the dry box.

I have a Clemens lathe and some power tools in my shop: bandsaw, drill press, model lathe, buffing wheel and dremel tool.

Al

Billy,

Not to worry. I give you two more years before you will be crying to me the you don't have enough time to do all these rods. Just ask Capt Neil.

Al

PS. It's 5 AM and I am heading down to the shop for two hours before it's off to work.

I've seen the work shop! Al was super nice and let me come by and scope things out. I've now got lots of ideas on how to set up my shop when I get around to it. Thanks again Al!

P.S.

When you see all the beautiful rods, it gets your heart pumping!

...When you see all the beautiful rods, it gets your heart pumping!

Ravioli,

You didn't? cwm24.gif

Al - How could you let him in that room???? You are such a devil.gif

"Crazy" Alberto