Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tth

Sage TCX 7126 best lines for 2 hand overhead casting...

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Tim,

The SA Skagit Extreme Inter 520gr with tips may be too heavy for comfortable THOH casting with the Sage 7126 TCX.

I only have Rio Inter tips and will try them with the lines.

The SA rep gave us a set of the subject lines and I will test cast this weekend and let you know the "range of line weights with tips" that the rod likes for THOH.

Regards,

FK

Crunch,

Have you tried the Airflo Rage lines? These are a heavy duty type of Scandi line, have steeper shorter front tapers designed to turn over a heavy wind resistant fly.

We usually use a Rage line some where between the Scandi and Skagit line weights.

The Sage 7126 TCX (my personal casting style choices)

Scandi 480gr-510gr (Steelhead Scandi or Scandi Compact)

Rage 540gr

Skagit Flight 550gr-575gr depending upon the sinking "T" tips length and weight.

Skagit Short 575gr

I really like the Rio AFS lines on longer rods of 13.5ft and upward.

Note: This is for Spey water anchor casting, not THOH. I will test cast some lighter weight Rage lines for THOH this coming weekend.

Regards,

FK

I know this is a bad idea but I'd like to throw my 2 cents into this discussion and also I'd like to help the O.P. with finding a good line for his rod.

I believe that everyone has correct and valid points when it comes to overall 2H surf casting. We all just have different means of getting what we want. I agree with Mike and Herb that there should an all around surf rod around 12-13' and cast lines between 500-600 grns. I applaud their efforts to prototype and "invent" a saltwater tapered rod. More importantly, I wish a company would step up (Airflo would be nice since they have done it in the past) and make a sw overhead beachline again. Airflo has done it before and now I feel would be a great time to reinvent that line for this 2H boom.

With that said, I also agree with Roger and FK that just because it's says "skagit" or "freshwater" doesn't automatically make it unsuitable for the beach. That's just crazy. Fishing is fishing and you have to use what is available. Mike, I think you need to break out of your mindset that just because you hear the word Skagit you must use a SA cast on a river somewhere. I respect your opinion and your preference for integrated lines but to be honest with you, there are not many good ones out there. Also, I do not understand why anyone would use a 9 or 10 wt line on a larger 2H spey rod? Switch rods, sure, but not full spey rods. Why not just use a single hand rod in 9 or 10wt? I do not feel you get any advantage with a 9 wt line on a 2H spey rod. I fish 2Hers to help me cast a lot of weight, with big flies, long distances. That's it. Surf fishing is not a beauty contest. I don't care how my loop looks. I only care about one thing, DISTANCE.

To sum up, eveyone has valid points and I agree with everyone. Also I think a company needs to step up and produce an all around sw 2H beach line and then we would all be happy. To the orginal poster, go with a line that is between 500-600 total grains for the 7126 tcx. Intergrated outbound, Airflo beach, skagit, scandi, doesn't matter just get one that will load that Bomber of a rod. Nuff said...

fkrow, Frank, if you have any Outbound lines in the 9-12 weight range, I'd be very interested to know how you felt about these for OH casting on the Sage TCX 7126.

Thanks.

Tim

Crunch,

Have you tried the Airflo Rage lines? These are a heavy duty type of Scandi line, have steeper shorter front tapers designed to turn over a heavy wind resistant fly.

FK

No I haven't but I have built such line heads. There are three factors which determine how fly line behaves. Head length and weight which are obvious but third is how much front and rear halves weight. Sort of "weight balance" I coil fly line head in two equal length coils and weight them separately in a cup on a scale. When the middle is hold parallel four inch outside the cup rim and another coil in hand eight inch out both halves comes very accurately to total head weight.

When head has most weight in its head half it is easier to Spey cast but it reduces both line straightening and big fly delivery capacity. Often there is big difference between floating and different sink rate lines and heads which are same type. And also between different weights of same type. Also weights can be way off of any standars. I think a scale is necessary for any fly fisher who wants to improve casting.

Esa

tth,

I will search my lines for some Rio Outbound in 9 & 10 wt,,, should have some around.

Crunch,

We were experimenting this past weekend with Scandi lines, very subtle differences in tapers does influence casting and loop unrolling performance.

Rod was the Sage 5119 TCX (11'9" 5wt Spey).

Lines:

Airflo Scandi Compact 300gr & 330gr

Rio Steelhead Scandi 310gr

Rio Scandi Short 320gr

They all had differences in line presentation, three casters played with the combinations on two 5119 TCX rods.

This I believe is from tapers which of course is weight distribution along the line.

Agree 100% on load cell scales to determine weight of the lines, they are so inexpensive on the big auction site and other online sources.

Regards,

FK

Replies #2 and #4 (and probably many others) hit the nail on the head. Great line, I've used it on several rods and it's a fine casting and fishing line.

Wow, this thread is so similar to my Z8129 thread months ago.  The TH rod discussions are so charged for whatever reason...hhmmm.  Don't take things so personally, it is just opinions and fishing.

Start with what Tightlines recommends or a Rio OB.  Tightlines make a business of selling lines, if they get it wrong they would lose business.  They gave me a range of recommendations based on what I would use the rod for and which lines.  Start there and work around it.  FK recommendations sound similar to those guys.  Mike's recommendations just really speed the rod up, that is all.  Try different stuff.

Chris

I had only a short time to test cast the Sage 7126 TCX for THOH lines this past weekend.

We had four experienced THOH salt water students for a return visit to test rods and new lines.

Could no locate any lighter weight Rio Outbound or Outbound Short lines.

We used Rio Skagit Flight with 10ft Inter tips. Most comfortable were the 375gr-450gr.

The Rio Outbound series in WF9 and WF10 should be fine on this rod.

It is impossible to dial in a line for a rod without seeing the individual casting.

Do you use primarily upper hand power or split 50% lower and 50% upper.

We use mainly 90%+ Lower Hand power application with a long slow stroke until the final delivery.

It all depends upon your individual casting style, there is no right or wrong way to cast a fly rod.

Regards,

FK

It all depends upon your individual casting style, there is no right or wrong way to cast a fly rod.

Regards,

FK

Thank you sir. My sentiments exactly. Just get the fly out there and catch fish. :D

Somebody has to do it. Keeps me out of trouble, not to mention money. ;)

No wonder the USA economy is growing with guys like you Lou. Your economic strength has clobbered our lowly £ and the $ is killing us. £ at all time low at $1.48 and thats wholesale not retail. Good time to buy Uk products. A Hardy Sintrex perhaps?.:)

Mike