Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

How many is too many?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Greetings exalted master of the colored thread wrapswink.gif How many guides is too many guides? I ask cause I just finished an 7'6" conventional on a Lamiglas GFP90MH blank. Oh yea, it's flexible, lots of cushion...perfect for weaks and their soft mouths. But, when I started trying to get an idea as to guide layout, I kept having to reposition them....then add one....and then add another....etc. Finally, when I got the line to stay off the blank no matter how deeply bent, I had 11 guides and a tip! cwm24.gif

I'm just wondering, is this normal or am I missin' something? I ended up with a lot of 8's and 6's on the real skinny end, just so the weight of the guides wouldn't have so much affect on the action.

Actually, this is gonna be a two part question smile.gif Could it be that if I went to bigger guides, say 12's and 10's, I could have used less? I mean, they are higher right, therefore they would each help keep the line clear a little more. Is it sometimes better to use fewer but bigger guides on a flexible conventional?

I just gotta know smile.gif

TimS

Hey Boss,

You are learning. Actually what you did was apply the Concept system. I would go with more, but lighter guides as you have done. Just remember to keep the wraps short.

Al

Whew, that's a relief. I thought you were talking about how many RODS were too many.

lg_smile.gif

Thought I was going to have to hide this thread from da Bride wink.gif

Tim, I am pretty new at this as well. I found the calculation chart in Advanced Custom Rodbuilding as a good starter to figure out how to space them and then moved them as needed based on the stress distribution.

Charlie

So there is hope for me yet smile.gif

It came out real nice...I'm quite satisfied with it...it'll get a real test tomorrow in the yak on the Susky flats...a real test! smile.gif

The wraps are about 4 turns of thread larger than the guides...on the smaller ones that is. The bigger guides have maybe 8 turns before the guide foot.

I'll tell ya what, Paul Naj gave me a most excellent tip on pefect cork tape with ZERO hassle...and not the slightest hint of a gap in it anywhere....mavelous...makes the cork tape for even a long butt like on the SB136 3M take about 10 minutes to do. And it looks more like a cork sleeve than cork tape smile.gif

TimS

Ditch, trust me, you got tooooo many! You can drop off the excess here...you know the address smile.gif

Charlie...I'm more Neanderthal about it...I "figger" in my head about how many it should take and put 'em on. If it needs more, I respace them and add another...and so on. This was the first rod I had to add more than one additional guide...I had to add 3! Even being a flexible composite blank, I'd a thought 8 was plenty of guides. Wasn't gonna happen. I could have possibly gotten away with 10, but the line was too close to the blank near the butt for me to believe it would never come in contact with it....added one more for good measure smile.gif

TimS

Tim,

Are you gonna share you cork tape trick with your subjects or not? Just curious, I have 6 surf rods in the works for the month.

Thanks,

Phil D'Avanzo

Phil Old Buddy,

I think you need to make a trip up to me and spend a Saturday morning in the shop.

Cork tape application is easy. I demoed it at the National a few years ago. There are a few tricks you need to know.

Al

Ditch & Tim

You guys got to remember the rules...

The one who Die's with the most fishing stuff win's. Bye the Way Tim Hows your Metal lips?? 2oz? Black or Yellow Got any?

Bassblitz

[This message has been edited by BassBlitz (edited 04-13-2001).]