Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill Klein

Clearing the air on Star Rods manufacturing

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

There was a post here some months back which stated that my much beloved Star Rods had moved all of their operations "offshore" and quality had declined. Having never seen any evidence of either, I've since had a very nice and helpful exchange of emails with Dick Henry at Star, and with his permission, would like to post the following to clear the air on this one.

Hello Bill,

A few months ago a Mr. Eric Weekman of Fla. was interviewed by a Port St. Luci newspaper. Mr. Weekman is a rod salesman for another company. Mr. Weekman stated in the interview that all of the Star Rod blanks were now being made in China. He also stated that Star Rods no longer purchased rod blanks from Gator Glass Laminating. Both of these comments are untrue. Star Rods has employed an attorney in Fla. to bring legal proceedings against Mr. Weekman on both counts.

This year Star Rods introduced the Aerial line of rods. All of the Aerial series is made in China. We ship many of the components to China for manufacturing. This usually consists of blanks, Aftco parts, thread and a few other items. The Aerial line of rods clearly states that they are made in China. It is mid-price rod of good quality.

I can assure you that Star Rods is doing well and manufacturing rods in Miami Fla. A second manufacturing facility will be open in Morehead City, NC in October. We are expanding the USA part of Star Rods, not moving the production overseas.

Thank you for your interest. Please feel free to post this reply on the bulletin board if you wish.

Good Fishing,

Dick Henry

So.... other than one series, which is clearly identified as to source, they're made in the USA, same as they ever were smile.gif

And excellent as they ever were smile.gifsmile.gif

Brian, they're originally Miami, FL based and have been around since 1958. Having grown up in their hometown, I've been a big fan for years. They've long been a very major player south of the Mason-Dixon line and have made solid inroads over the last several years into New Jersey and at least some parts of New York; several of the Staten Island crew fish Star rods, and are quite fond of 'em. With the mid-Atlantic manufacturing facility getting ready to crank up, I've got a feeling they'll soon be familiar further yet up into yankee land.

The surf rod lineup, all extremely popular and well-regarded in the DelMarVa zone, includes conventionals and spinners up to eleven feet, with everything nine and longer currently offered only as two-pc. models. Their lineup of lighter tackle and offshore models is exceptionally broad. I currently fish both eight and nine foot spinners from their Stellar Lite series and am thoroughly pleased with both of them. The eight has some amazingly high mileage on it at this point and looks and fishes sweet as new smile.gif

No website, but if you'd like a nice color catalog call 1 800 216 8776. They are well worth checking out.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 07-26-2002).]

Oooooops. Yes, All Star - they who produce both under their own and under the Breakaway banners - is Texas based and an altogether different company, one which also manufactures some pretty fine offerings as well.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 07-26-2002).]

I picked up the Nicklite series 10' conventional last month and liked it so much I picked up the 11' model today. Very light for the backbone with a soft tip. Casts wood like a dream

------------------

"Any time a man ain't fishin' he's fritterin' away his life." - Rancid Crabtree

From a Florida fishing forum

Topic: Star Rods

GeauxSaints

posted 08-30-2002 02:44 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone else had issues with their Star rods getting bubbles under the laminate? I have a few Star rods and one has started delaminating after one season of use. Star told the dealer where I bought it that they wouldn't do anything about it till it flat out broke which sounds like a bad deal to me...wait till it costs me a fish or just retire a fairly new grouper digger...

I like spending my money on good gear and I like keeping my money in Florida even more, but I know one thing for sure, Star has seen the last of my wallet.

IP: Logged

rick

posted 08-30-2002 02:59 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i had some green spots all over the upper half of a nickelite rod. instead of handing me one of the bundle of rods they had at the factory, they sanded the rod, totally discoloring it and reapplied finish over it.

------------------ http://members.fishingworks.com/rickgarcia/index.cfm

stm2000

posted 08-30-2002 03:07 PM

I have a Star that started to delaminate last year now it is covered with little bubbles. I bought a crowder to replace it and I love it so far.

------------------

CHECK IT

Brad B

posted 08-30-2002 03:13 PM

From what I hear Star got bought out and aren't what they used to be. That said, I still have four of them in my garage, three of which I have owned for years.The cracking clear coat problem has also been around for years. It ain't pretty but as far as I can tell it doesn't effect the rod structuraly and as far as I can tell the snapper and grouper don't care if the rod is pretty. I don't remeber what the warranty on them is but if it is lifetime and you aren't getting satisfaction secure it, hook it up to your tow vehicle and break it in two. Voila, pretty new rod.

Josh

Sr. Member/Advisor

posted 08-30-2002 03:16 PM

If thats their attitude, break it and get a new one.

I build my own rods so I can say that that should not happen after only one season of use.

------------------

Tight Lines

Joshua Berkey

- I fish, therefore I am.

van

posted 08-30-2002 03:43 PM

star was bought out. currently buying their blanks from some other dealer.quality on the newer rods are not the same standard as the older stars.

------------------

van

Pink Snapper Snatcher

posted 08-30-2002 04:09 PM

The bubbling or cracking is due to the handling of the rods before the finish is put on them.

The oil/grease from unclean hands does not allow the finish to bond with the materials in the blank, add to it a different blank than usual, and the problem multiplies.

My .02

After 12 years of buying custom rods, My guy closed shop. To date the best built rods are made in California........ Calstar! IMHO

rick

posted 08-30-2002 05:17 PM

and as for the bubbling, it's not limited to star. i have an older st croix that is suffering from this. i guess the key word there is older.

pink, who carries calstar?

------------------ http://members.fishingworks.com/rickgarcia/index.cfm

GeauxSaints

posted 08-30-2002 05:18 PM

Thanks for the replies and the advice. It is a sad situation when a company gets bought out and their product goes to hell. I'll look into those crowder rods next week.

Keep dem lines tight!

aquasport20

posted 08-30-2002 05:57 PM

I was just about to post the same thing, when I saw this one! I bought a Stellar Lite for $99 at Bill Jackson's last year. It is starting to delaminate and bubbles are popping up everywhere. It has a 3 year warranty........so I took it back to Bill Jacksons and they basically told me that Star would do nothing about it. Not very good customer service. That is the last Star Rod I will buy.

King_Me

posted 08-30-2002 06:21 PM

Crap, I just bought a brand new Star Rod. It's a heavy stand up rod but if I heard all this before purchasing it I would have reconsidered.

van

posted 08-30-2002 08:02 PM

KING_ME, you are not alone. i learned that the company was buying cheaper blanks two days after i had bought two star rods. i have had one brake on a medium size fish and the other started to crack and peel. dealer offered no help.

THE BUYER NEEDS A HUNDRED EYES,THE SELLER BUT ONE.

------------------

van

TRAFFICLAWYER

From: 21' Whaler ~200 HPDI Yamaha ~ Marietta, Georgia~Wish it was Jupiter,FL!

posted 08-30-2002 08:19 PM

I have 10 Chaos rods, Bryan stands behind his product!!!

Had a loose gimbal, replaced free!!!!

Pullinlip

posted 08-30-2002 08:27 PM

I bought my first Star Rod last year, no problems with delamination so far; however, I do have two Finwicks that started to delaminate several years ago. (I had used them hard for 3-4 years before) I have yet to have a problem with strength. It does suck that there is a problem, but I think it is only cosmetic.

[This message has been edited by Pullinlip (edited 08-30-2002).]

YES DEAR

posted 08-30-2002 08:28 PM

I have a couple of newer stars that are chippin also, dont think it will affect it structually but it sure dont look good on a $100 dollar rod, I also have heard that star got bought out and the people making them are the ones now making crowders, anybody else hear this????

clunkis

posted 08-30-2002 10:28 PM

Hey Guys I am one of the Star rod reps in Florida. To answer some of your questions.

Yes Star Rods were purchased about four years ago. They are under the same management as they always have been. No they are not being built by Crowder. No they are not using cheaper blanks. We have upgraded some of our Deluxe And Handcrafted rods With Better blanks. GeauxSaints if you would E-mail me about your problem I will take care of it. clunkis@bellsouth.net

psycho

posted 08-30-2002 10:48 PM

2 Words CHAOS RODS! Brian is a friend and runs a great operation. www.chaosrods.com

Tell him Gill sent you!

van

posted 08-31-2002 03:43 AM

wow,what a spin. i'm going right out and buy myself two more star rods.

" EVERY PEDDLAR PRAISES HIS OWN NEEDLES"

the proof is in the facts,sales have droped. HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

van

GreenBone1

posted 08-31-2002 07:12 AM

I own 6 star rods , some for almost 10 years and they look like new. I had a feeling you get to the proper people and star will do the right thing :0 :0

Pink Snapper Snatcher

posted 08-31-2002 01:11 PM

rick,

Dont know who would carry them down here, my friend, and tackle guru, Dave Arbietman in New Jersey, his company's name is the Reel Seat. Dont know if he will give you a better deal, but tell him the "Mutton Glutton" told you to give him a call .

Buscayne Rods, and Leeward Rods carry Calstar blanks, and they custom wrap them, but thus far as before mentioned they are in California and when you get a "manufactored" not "custom" my opinion Calstar makes the best, a word of warning, they are expensive! But I have to fish with the best!, you never know when the fish of a lifetime is on the other end, and your "off the rack" $50.00 special from Bass pro, breaks or a guide breaks.

Again my .02

Catch em up!

star-a few points when they first were sold they used local distributors in Florida, since moving off shore they now have Henry's as their distributor which increased their distribution. the older models used Gator Glass blanks primarily with fuji guides which were made to stars specifications,

there biggest draw back is what Gamakatsu refered to, or at least the post he referred to is delamaniting. This is a very incorrect term to use, the blanks are not delaminating, star uses a thread finish similar to flex coat over the entire series of Gator Glass blanks which are unfinished when sold with quite prominent ridges, for appearance sake they chose to cover the blanks with finish. flexing of the rod ,heat etc causes this finsih to crack and lift, a little heat applied with an alcohol lamp allows one to completley removed the finish from the blank area. In my opinion star rods are not the greatest quality but there are an awful lot of very satisfied customers using them and they are probably worth the money for those who don't wish to go custom, one further note when star used the local distributor program very few dealers would accept returned rods as Star distributors often would not accept returns sticking dealers, I have no idea how the new distributor policy works today.

John