Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zimmy

su 1209 guide question

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I am interested in general distance from reel to stripping guide for a rainshadow SU 1209. Matched with a 7000cl. Guides are bnlg starting with a 30. Just want to make sure I am in the right ballpark smile.gif Thank you and enjoy the lovely spring weather cwm12.gif

Its very stiff so no real action up in that area of the rod. I think you could go 36 or more if that would help eliminate a guide near the top. If not , something around 32 should be safe.

thanks for the replies icon14.gif

WB: I went with 30 based on browsing through previous posts and the fact that I will use it down south occasionally where bigger/less guides and mono are the norm. I have built a few conv. w/ 20's, a couple w/ 25's... I figure I will try a bit of everything untill I figure out what works w/ all the different combos of blanks, lines, and reels. I test casted it an got out around 35 or 36" w/ no line slap or contact w/ stress test. Combine that with the butt length I use with my ape arms and I can go drop a guide as suggested by saltheart. I thought I would be ok out that far but wanted to get the opinions of those more experienced before I went with it. Seems to work well smile.gif .

For a spinner it also Depends on the reel and first guide size but I guess I would use a 50 BSVLG and put it out 36 inches as a place to start and adjust from there.