Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Awesome John

Is anyone adding mags to the Penn Fathom reels yet?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I remember a while back when the Avets came out .. great reels but too crazy on the cast... I asked repeatedly for the crafty anglers out there on SOL that mod everything to spill the beans... I remember that a few ace fisherman where kind enough to share their magging techinqıes ... all of a sudden everyone was hitting Lee Valley magnets and magging up every reel that had a great free spool but cast too out of control...

Okay this brings us to the Penn Fathom..... GREAT REEL by the way.. it like a metal 525 except without the mag.... great free spool...

Well I just got the Fathom size 15 today!... looks great , like a 525... only its all metal.. great casting reel...

But it was hard to control "very fast and kept its momentum high" I found myself having to thumb it all the way with 50 pound braid as my line...

Okay .. here the question... anyone magged this reel yet? It sure looks like it could really use an old homemade Avet style mag job like the sharpies used to do before Avet made a factory magged version..

I see the potential for this to be a great surf reel with "LONG DISTANCE" ;)

Anyone out there added a mag to the Penn fathom yet? :confused:

I wish it had a mag break like the squall instead of a 6 pin centrifugal break. But I have never needed more than 3 breaks popped out and 2 is how I fish it during the day. I think it is an excellent beach reel. I'm with you though mags would be easier.

I remember a while back when the Avets came out .. great reels but too crazy on the cast... I asked repeatedly for the crafty anglers out there on SOL that mod everything to spill the beans... I remember that a few ace fisherman where kind enough to share their magging techinqıes ... all of a sudden everyone was hitting Lee Valley magnets and magging up every reel that had a great free spool but cast too out of control...

Okay this brings us to the Penn Fathom..... GREAT REEL by the way.. it like a metal 525 except without the mag.... great free spool...

Well I just got the Fathom size 15 today!... looks great , like a 525... only its all metal.. great casting reel...

But it was hard to control "very fast and kept its momentum high" I found myself having to thumb it all the way with 50 pound braid as my line...

Okay .. here the question... anyone magged this reel yet? It sure looks like it could really use an old homemade Avet style mag job like the sharpies used to do before Avet made a factory magged version..

I see the potential for this to be a great surf reel with "LONG DISTANCE" ;)

Anyone out there added a mag to the Penn fathom yet? :confused:

AJ, check with Ryan White at Hatteras Jacks, in Rodanthe NC. I think he can/will put an adjustable knobby mag into those reels. If you need contact info, let me know.

the squall has a mag control, just sayin :)

I already own a penn 525 mag...( same as the squall but made in USA) I wanted a metal reel the Fathom sure fits the bill is a bit too fast for blast casting.. a nice magnet would really bring out the best in this reel.

tighten up the nut under the drag

While that would calm it down somewhat it defeats the great free spool of this reel and the potential "great distances that can be achieved with this reel"

I wish it had a mag break like the squall instead of a 6 pin centrifugal break. But I have never needed more than 3 breaks popped out and 2 is how I fish it during the day. I think it is an excellent beach reel. I'm with you though mags would be easier.
yup Im gonna write to Penn about this.... A mag on this reel would be a WINNER!

I was just wondering had anyone of our fine SOL members taken a crack at magging this reel yet and what was their experience? Do share please :)

AJ, check with Ryan White at Hatteras Jacks, in Rodanthe NC. I think he can/will put an adjustable knobby mag into those reels. If you need contact info, let me know.

Longcaster! Great to hear from you buddy :wave: I think you hit the nail right on the head!

I will mail him the side plate.. he probably already has the specs down for this reel.. Ryan is a true Ace! Yep thats thats a great suggestion thank you Longcaster.

FYI: After unspectacular results with 2-6 centrifugal-brakes engaged, I added static mags to the Fathom II 40 and the results on the soccer field (casting 5 and 8 oz sinkers) were encouraging. Those good results continued into the windless first day of a fishing trip in the Bay Area. Then things went awry the next day when I was forced to cast into an onshore breeze. The reel fluffed very easily -- even with careful thumb control. After the third bird's nest in half a dozen casts, I stopped using the 40 and switched to using my Akios 757, which remained butter smooth and super easy to control for the rest of the trip (no bird's nests in 5 days). My Fathom II 40 now serves exclusively on a boat rod for yellowtail/dorado/ling cod. It's a nice boat reel but a poor beachcaster.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I would also contact Matt with ReelKustom Reels.   He is a master at magging Gen1 Fathoms.   You can find him on Facebook and he is based out of VA.   He has done a TRQ12 and BG30H for me.   Amazing work.   

Edited by animalbarrie

2 hours ago, Capefox said:

FYI: After unspectacular results with 2-6 centrifugal-brakes engaged, I added static mags to the Fathom II 40 and the results on the soccer field (casting 5 and 8 oz sinkers) were encouraging. Those good results continued into the windless first day of a fishing trip in the Bay Area. Then things went awry the next day when I was forced to cast into an onshore breeze. The reel fluffed very easily -- even with careful thumb control. After the third bird's nest in half a dozen casts, I stopped using the 40 and switched to using my Akios 757, which remained butter smooth and super easy to control for the rest of the trip (no bird's nests in 5 days). My Fathom II 40 now serves exclusively on a boat rod for yellowtail/dorado/ling cod. It's a nice boat reel but a poor beachcaster.

Damn. I just went back to Amazon to cancel the order after reading this, but it was shipped already. I was contemplating between Fathom II 40 and Fathom II 15 Casting Special, but opted to get the 40 for additional line. I bought the 40 strictly for the surf, to be paired with my 13' Ballistic rod. I have a feeling it's not going to end well.

1 hour ago, hobbyisterisis said:

Damn. I just went back to Amazon to cancel the order after reading this, but it was shipped already. I was contemplating between Fathom II 40 and Fathom II 15 Casting Special, but opted to get the 40 for additional line. I bought the 40 strictly for the surf, to be paired with my 13' Ballistic rod. I have a feeling it's not going to end well.

Sorry to hear that. A lot of merchants on Amazon are quite flexible with returns/exchanges though. The Fathom II 15CS is by many accounts an amazing distance surf-caster with good line capacity. A new Squall II 15 is coming out this fall too. The 40 is definitely a quality built reel that is super on a boat. 

1 hour ago, hobbyisterisis said:

Return the 40, don’t even take it out of the box.   It’s too big of a reel for surf casting.   How much line do you really need?   You can spool the Fathom 15 casting special with 270 yards of 20lb mono.   I’ve landed big sharks and rays on a Fathom 12 with 16lb line.  Take a look at the Daiwa Saltist 30.  Holds a lot of 20lb mono and can pretty much handle anything you are catching from

the surf.