Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

Lets talk about scuba diving

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

It's something I've always wanted to do...and I'm thinking it might be time smile.gif Life's too short to keep putting off all the things we long to do. Getting a first hand look at the underwater worlds that occupy so many of my waking thoughts is simply something I don't want to never get around to redface.gif

Do we have any scuba enthusiasts here? I know Fish Eye has spent a bazillion hours on the other side of the meniscus...anyone else? smile.gif

TimS

something i always wanted to do, too!

apparently, though, they prefer a person to have two lungs to be certified to do so... so I'm out. took up skydiving for a while instead until they made me stop doing that, too.

i say ya go for it timmy. if all else fails, just think of all the tackle you could find down there! biggrin.gif

Tim,

I have not been diving in 12 yrs but plan to catch up this winter while cruising the Grenadines this March. We will arrange to have dive boats to pick us up at our anchorages and take us to the reefs, wrecks etc.

I think the best way to learn is the crash course. I went to a reputable dive shop in Key Largo and took a 4 day course, 8 hrs a day. Ended up to have only 2 others in the class. All three of us had prior diving experience and were well equiped to handle all the water work. We ended up covering the material in three days. The school then gave us a free day of diving on their boat.

Granted this was in the mid 1980's and the rules may have changed since then, but it's better than going once a week for a few months.

I got about a hundred dives logged. If you can't afford to become an astronaut, It's about the next best thing. Inner space. Also, Jersey has some of the best wreck diving on earth. Moreover, if you're ever stuck without a dive buddy, I'll go just about any time, anywhere. My best was 300' at night. don't try this at home kids. icon14.gif

I am uncertified and cannot swim, so I guess that I am representative of a beginner, yet I have done quite a few resort dives over the years. I don't bother in the NE, because it is cold. If I go to an island (Hawaii, Grand Cayman, Nassau, etc) I always squeeze in a a day or two of dives. I've inadvertently gone as deep as 55'. The problem with going deep is that your air doesn't last as long. I'm a heavy breather, and if I am in 15' (Stingray City) I can go almost an hour. I think that scuba and seeing fish is far more interesting than catching them. Though when I saw that 20-25# snapper, I kinda wished that I had a VS in my back pocket.

I don't like snorkeling by the way. Much more difficult than scuba and you are more exposed to surface dangers like boats and waves. I find it much easier to swim underwater.

The toughest thing about scuba is 1) seeing, but I have a prescription mask now and 2) neutral buoyancy. I go through 10 minutes of inflating and purging the BCD every time.

Since I am uncertified, I have to dive with an instructor. That means different things in different places. You might have one guy watching 10 people, you might hire one guy for yourself, they might take you by the hand, they might ignore you unless you get into trouble.

Don't touch the coral. smile.gif

I've only been down twice back in '75 at a vacation place in Jamaca called Nigrel Beach Village. 1st dive 30 feet, second one about 75 feet. Later learned that what we did w/o proper training was real dangerous- hurt my ear pretty badly. But, it was the most beautiful and peaceful view I've ever encountered.

I saw your tog rig grave post and thought even I might not be too old to give it another try after proper instructions. I'll be waiting for your underwater striper videos this summer!

Good luck,

Mike Lang operated a dive shop I bet he knows a thing or two wink.gif

There is also a genuine former US Navy UDT frogman who posts here- I'll not identify him as he as too many women chasing him as it is smile.gif

diving is one of the greatest things that you can do for yourself. a whole different sense of living. there are plenty of places around to get certified. most places offer basic open water classes in the winter, which is usually made up of 12 hours or so of classroom work, and 12 hours of pool work. it will depend on which certification agency you are going thru (the dive shop that you go thru determines this). the two biggees are NAUI and PADI. once the late spring / early summer hits, then you do your open water dives, usually at a quarry. some people do their open water dives at a resort location, which counts if they have a certified dive instructor there that can sign off on your dives.

the basic certification recommends that you go as deep as about 65 feet. you would want to get the next level of certification, which is advanced open water. this certification is gained thru doing dives with an instructor, usually at deeper depths, and possibly some at night. once you get your advanced certification, then you're good to go for the maximum depth of 130, which is the limit for no decompression recreational diving.

around NJ, there is some great diving. lots of wrecks, and surprisingly clear water at times. you can see thousands of fish on a single wreck, along with lots of lobster, starfish, crabs, etc.. i've found some tackle as well on some of my dives, which has found its way into my tackle box. biggrin.gif

there is year-round diving in NJ on a couple of boats. except for summer/early fall, you'll want to dive in a dry suit. the initial cost to get into diving can be somewhat high, but quality equipment can last a lifetime if its taken care of, so it's a small investment in those terms. besides, it's life support equipment, so you won't want to skimp.

getting started you'll need a mask (about $65-$100), fins (about $90-$130), and a snorkel ($30). these are ball parks, but they'll get you thru your initial classes. some shops offer a nice discount to students that are taking classes, so check out a couple of places to see if any of your local guys do this.

all in all, it's a great time, and i'm very, very glad that i took the time and made the investment to get certified. the first time that you are completely surrounded by fish, you'll ask yourself why you didn't do it sooner.

send me a pm if you have any questions.

I dove a few times and I gotta tell you it's amazing to exist in the under water world where you are just a visitor. A world that exists when you are stuck in traffic, sleeping or whatever. Its like there is a different set of rules for that underwater world.

I dove Aruba, Puerto Rico and St. Lucia and of course my favorite jetty and inlet.

Go for it. Its awesome.

Eeeeels..............

i've found some tackle as well on some of my dives, which has found its way into my tackle box. biggrin.gif

Tim you can sell me back all my spoons and pay for your equipment...and then some. wink.gif

I also have wanted to get into scuba diving, but theres just too many fish to catch. I think I would rather fish. Spear fishing looks cool....especially those free divers that take tuna and get dragged around

eek.gif

I have also wanted to do this, but the thing that throws me is the places where I would want to dive would be off limits, or maybe I am wrong?

How do you go about looking at the underwater world of a well respected or heavily fished spot?

I have also wanted to do this, but the thing that throws me is the places where I would want to dive would be off limits, or maybe I am wrong?

How do you go about looking at the underwater world of a well respected or heavily fished spot?

I always wondered this. what happens when you go to dive a smaller place like the scotland and then you see these head boats motoring right for the ground?

is it first come, first serve or what? confused.gif

Ive seen the divers out there, but never really on a pieces that I wanted to fish

Is there a slot limit on snagging divers? Will my VS and a stout 6.6 rod do the trick? May have to go to the 525 mag for distance. wink.gif