Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stroth

Replacing Guides & Tip Tops

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Al:

I have an old glass rod that my uncle bought me at a yard sale. I want to put new guides on it and turn it into a boat/cod rod.

I read a couple of other threads dealing with removing old guides, but I still have a couple of questions.

1. Do I really need the heat gun or can I use something else to heat up the guides?

2. Do you remove the Tip in the same manner that you remove the rest of the guides?

Thanks so much for all of your help. I start building my surf/canal rod next week. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Stroth,

You can use a hair dryer, heat lamp or alcohol lamp. All you are trying to do is heat the cured finish sufficiently to just soften it. It then can be easily peeled away.

To remove the tip just gently heat the tip while pulling on the tip with needle noose pliers at the same time. The heat will break the glue bond to remove the tip. Be careful not to overheat the tip or you will damage the blank.

Al

It doesn't take much heat to loosen the tip if it was put on with hot-melt ferrule cement. In fact---leaving it inside a closed station wagon or SUV on a hot day can do it wink.gif

If it was put on with epoxy---best leave that to a good rodbuilder.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 01-19-2002).]