Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dkovac

Wrapping first rod ????

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Well I'm gona wrap my first rod and I have a couple of questions

Does size make a difference? is it easier to wrap a shorter rod

1 or 2 piece ? does this make a difference in difficulty?

I will be doing this at the building class Tri-State is offering, so should I stick with a cheaper blank? and medium quality guides or should I bite the bullet and get a first rate blank and guides?

Thanks in advance and there will be more ?? to come biggrin.gif

Good questions!!

Size only matters (easy boys) in that you will have longer wraps with the bigger guides. And with a larger diameter blank it will take longer to roll that thing up. That being said... What are you most in need of in the way of a rod?

I'd go for decent components since you can re-do your wraps until you are happy. It'll be good practice for you to wrap a guide and cut it off and re-do it. Even us pros goof sometimes. You might want to ask the instructor what size blank would be appropriate for the classroom. If there are 10 students and they are all making 11' surf rods youll need alot of space smile.gif If you are trying to save a bit of $$ on the parts, you might consider a Lamiglas E-glass blank. They make great rods, will last a super long time, are durable and modestly priced. I just figure, if you are going to the trouble of building a rod, you may as well make something nice.

Happy rolling and let's see your rod when you are finished smile.gif CD

D, as a fairly new rod builder I can understand the challenge that you are faced with.

When I did my first rod I went for the best stuff I could find for a reasonable cost. I did not want to spend the money and the time to assemble a rod that I would not use. I went into rod building because I beleive that I can build a better rod than I could purchase off the rack.

So I would not pick a blank that is of lesser quality than a rod that you already own and like.

I would try to look for a niche rod that you do not currently have in the line up.

Go for the best quality blank and components that you are comfortable shelling out the dough for, and go into with the attitude that this rod is gonna be great for the application that you have in mind.

D, At the classes every aspect of building your first rod will be covered. They will cover all the different types of rods, guides, threads, epoxy glue, finishes, color preserver, butt wraps, guide wraps, cork, cork tape. You will get a "How To" manual with all kinds of information. You dont need to make and decisions on what to buy until after your first class. If you have any additional questions you can always call Clay Johnson at the number in the first post. Bruce Fisher

thanks for the advice guys, I will check with the guys at the classes, but had these things on my mind now.

After some thought I think I'll build a rod for flounder (boat 2-4 oz) or a clam chucking rod.What I really need is a rod for throwing bombers , nut I think I will hold of on that as I want a 1083 and wouldn't want to mess with that blank the first time around.

BC will the 108 handle chucking clams?

Thanks guys

DK - I'll rspond later when I get back from CHristmas SHopping. Get affordable good stuff for a rod you're going to use a lot - mayethe most. THis way you can use it and fine tune everything.

Going shopping now, will add more later

Building Rods is really quite easy to do. Provided that you keep it simple. Complicated butt wraps can be tuff to master at first, but wrapping guides and flex coating is simple with minimum instruction. My advice would be to build on the blank you want. Start off wrapping the guides on it then flex coat it. Then finish off the handle and your done. Once you have mastered butt wraps on practice rods, you can always go back and put a butt wrap on the rod. For some fishermen Butt wraps are a requirement and they will accept nothing less on a custom. For others me included I could care less about them. Putting the guides in the right place and quality flex coat is more than enough to fish with. Regards Big Dave

My English version of that last post - What rod do you really want? Something to toss Bombers with, right? Figure out all the blanks to do this, and pick the one that fits in the budget. If you have to supply your own guides, Fuji Hardaloy or Alconites.

Building a rod you plan to use a lot will allow you to fine tune for your next rod. You're gonna make mistakes, handle too long/short/thick/thin, rod is unbalanced, too many/not enough guides - when you use the rod a few times you'll know. Make mental notes so when you wrap teh next rod, ou keep these in mind, and "solve" the prfrom teh prior rod. Of course, there will always be something wrong, and each rod you make will be fine tuned and they will feel and look better as you go along.