Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thumb-Burner

need help selecting a blank

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

OK guys... help me out...

I'm looking for an 11-12' blank for casting 2-4 oz a very long way.. here's the catch, the tip needs to be very light and the rod itself needs to be light in the hand... two applications...

1) metal up to 4 oz...

2) casting 2-3 oz plus two small worm baits long distance to catch whiting off the outer bar..

distance is a big deal but i want it to be soft enough on the tip that the worms won't be torn from the hooks on cast and that it will be fun to catch 1 lb fish....

I'm leaning hard toward a seeker CSU 110 with a glass tip and fiberglass butt..

Would really appreciate other thoughts... have been through the entire allstar line and the only possibility i think is the 1387, but it still has a 9 tip which is kinda stout..

thoughts????

rod will be wrapped conventional and reel will be a daiwa 7-ht with 12#- 14#mono..

thanks in advance for any help

no one?

well... stab in the dark... but maybe a lami livebait series glass rod with a graphite extention on the butt?

maybe all graphite for both pieces if you want the weight down or better balance....

just thinking here...

Rainshadow 1207 or St Croix 3SRS100M extended...just built the St Croix extended to 11ft8in, to throw 2-3oz tins and teaser. Size 7 tip with .780 butt, rated to 3oz. Still trying to dial in one of my 6500CT's for specific application, saw almost 200yds with 3oz tin and light tail wind...

biggrin.gif

The rod you are talking is a VERY rare breed. your are looking for a few things in one rod that are very different animals... strength, soft tip, and light.

I think one recommendation would be a Ron Arra 132-1. The lighter of the 11ft Arra's. This could easily handle 2-3 oz's and launch somw worms to the outer bar, its light and has a relatively soft tip.

you could also extend a rainshadow 1207 as well... I would go with the unfinished blank as well...

BC

9 tip is kinda stout? I don't do any surf fishing, but I have wrapped a killer Arra 1321, whihc had a 10 tip. That is a very light rod, even with the 10 tip (supposed to be a 9 tip).

Thumb Burner,

I have a breakaway 1387 built conventional an use it for exactly what you mentioned. I built the rod specifically for whiting, (we call them knigfish) and throwing 5 and 6 inch storms, and metal for stripers. In the weight ranges you mentioned it'll throw them out of sight with a 6500 mag elite. However in the configuration I built mine 4 is upper limit. I don't find it two stiff at all. Have you thrown the 1387? If the 1387 is too stiff for you look at the rainshadow 1386 rated medium action where as their 1387 is rated medium heavy.

TB... I would look at the Lami GSB's in the length you want. I know what your saying about throwing off the worms. IMHO all the Allstars and RSs I've handled are much to fast action for tossing worms. You get a great cast with a sinker and empty hook. The GSB's have a much more parabolic action. I use a 120 1M to toss worms. It is much more bait friendly than any of my Allstars, Patriots or RSs. Another blank series that may work might be the Tri-Flex. I haven't handled any yet but being composite they may be more "forgiving".

thanks for all the thoughts... the allstar is right now # 2 on my list behind the purglas 350-1.... still may go with the csu 110 seeker as well...

thanks to all..

good point on the lamis... large diameter tip doesn't necessarily mean stiff.. when i say light tip i mean the first 3rd of the rod.. imo, many of the breakaways (which cast great) are very firm in the first 3rd . i'm looking for more of a parabolic action...