Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slip n slide

simple shrimp

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Saw a bunch of shrimp getting washed out of the inlets on the dropping tide 1st wk of June @ CC.Went back a week later w/ these guys and the bass scarfed 'em down like candy.Sight fishing;no rejections.At all.No hesitations.Most hookups were well in the mouth...confidence take. They were also good for blind fishing edges of flats or near shore structure (cockle/grass beds) early AM before you could spot fish or the same @ low tide.

These are based on a craw pattern I've been using in FW for 30 yrs,just changed the colors.The ones pictured are on a #2 short shank hook.Bartleet/salmon bend hooks tie the nicest ones but a sproat bend (like these) will work too.I tie a flat strip of lead along the "top" of the hook going 1/3 of the way around the bend(look at the one in the back of the pic ,you'll get the idea how far) and then half a strip on top of that.That will flip it upside down w/ the point riding up.I use the "Twistons" type of lead strips.A sprig of squirrel tail for antennae,two sets of webby variant/cree hackle fibers for legs,front set should be tied in slightly up on bend and 2nd set where bend ends.They act like keels to keep the fly setting right as well as imitating the legs.This imitation does not "hop" like barbell laden flies,instead,drifting naturally downward,thorax first/belly down.The dubbing is 50/50 fox squirrel/grey angora goat.Tail rib is vinyl D-rib w/ cement on the flat side to help make the fly more durable.Takes barely 5 min if you have your materials arranged beforehand.Wicked good lil thing to have in the box.

I first wanna say... ouch... cuz that's all I can imagine happens to a fish's mouth when they hit the water.. I just read an article somewhere about "SIMPLE SHRIMP" but don't ask me where. great philosophy just like yourself on what fish see. i'm happy you posted this... it's truly a work of art and i'd like to post a pic of a crab I did that has a similar form of your construction but since I wasn't proud of if I neglected to post it previously.. but the area in question was to keep it from tumbling... I wouldn't infest your thread with crabs as that would be rude... (oh my did I set myself up or what)

Thx guys.

No,really oats,a mild case of the crabs ,in this case,would'nt be bad ;-)

I have a tendency to sometimes make things more complicated than necessary (not just in flytying either,lol).Classic example of "less is more".

This is a grown up fly. Very sharp!

WOW :shock:

This fly brought Wendell out of hiding. Time to sit up and take notice . . .

It IS a very nice fly Slip

O

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerekWhipple View Post

Looks fantastic!  Slap some dumbell eyes and claws on them and you've got a great smallmouth fly!

Don't need dumbells,it inverts cuz of the lead strips along the shank.I do tie them w/ claws as that is what it was originally;a craw pattern.I just left the claws off cuz it's a shrimp.

Fishing this pattern locally is almost like fishing bait,fish love it! Everything wants to eat 'em.

Right now there are a ton of lil babies flipping around and a 1" version (the size of the shrimp I tied) kills.

Appreciate the comments guys!

Hi slip n slide,

cool looking simple shrimp! I am new to the forum and to tying. Next time you tie these up, would you mind taking a few step by step pictures for me. I have difficulty comprehending written instructions so pictures really help me. thanks for sharing tackle addict