Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prefessa

Spinning Guides: Frame height vs. Ring size

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

AL:

One thing I have noted is that the high frame Fuji's are substantially heavier than a standard frame guide of the same ring size.

In Clemmens's book. He indicates that line slap is a bigger source of friction than restriction of the flight cone coming off a spin reel.

Given these facts... Would it be better to use smaller ring/high frame guides than larger ring low frame guides in order to achieve the same total weight of guides on the tip section of a spinning rod?

One thing I never tollerate is a rod that is tip heavy. Multiple taper rods are more forgiving as there is more glass in the butt to balance the stick. Straight tapered sticks are more challenging. You need to lighten up the tip section in order to achieve balance.

Prefessa,

I'm sure Al will get back to you when he returns from his west coast ventures. In the meantime, I'll weigh in on my preference for the high frame guides (or high frame used in combination with normal frame guides), especially where casting distance is concerned. I still use the standard frame guides on surf or jetty rods but typically on those rods that will be used more as fish fighting tools rather than long casters. Perhaps Al could help describe how he uses various types of guides for different applications.

Pref,

Good morning, I am back. The high frame stripper guide can be employed along with standard double foot or single foot spinning guides for the tip end to keep down the overall weight. However, one of the advantages of the high frame guides is that fewer guides are needed.

Al

To avoid the tip being too heavy, you can also counterbalance the rod by gluing some lead putty into the butt. Fuji also makes a special butt cap with removable weights for this purpose.