Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trident88

Reel seats and proper butt lenghts

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Dear AL:

I have a Lami 132M with a cork tape handle and a tape on reel seat and a Foam foregrip.

This off season I would like to put on the appropriate Fuji seat.

What is the proper seat to use and please let me know how you would recomend the instalation since this will have to be put on via the butt end of the rod.

I am reasonably comfortable with the current setting but I am intersted in the optimum location since this placement is permanent. I have seen inquiries regarding sleeve length and distance to the reel seat. How do these measurements correlate?

I have a 34" sleeve length are there any other coordinates that dial in the proper location for the reel seat that I should be aware of?

Furthermore, if the reels used (VS 250/Penn 750) have a short foot have you ever shortened the stock reel seats. I would think just leave enough threads to open the seat sufficiently to allow removal of the reel - most seats seem 2" too long.

What type/size of butt cap would finish this?

Thanks for your help.

T88

I could have

T88,

The is a relatively easy upgrade. However, since you already have a foam foregrip on the rod you may be locked into the position of the permanent reelseat. I say may, since there are some options open to you.

My guess is that the proper position of the seat would be approximately 25-inches from the base of the reelseat to the end of the butt. You will need to do some test casting to finalize the position.

A Fuji BRC25 butt cap would finish off the butt.

Al

Dear AL:

Thanks for the quick answer.

What is the appropriate fuji reel seat for this size rod. I recall a recent post of yours that indicated a 22 and it fit a 132 M like a glove - will this still work comng up from the back?

Also what are your thoughts on triming the seat?

Thanks.

T88

A #22 seat has an ID of .86 inches and the butt OD of the 1321M is .84, so a #22 seat should slip over the butt of the blank.

As far as shortening the length of the seat,

if you have a good, snug fit after you have screwed the nut down firmly, then shortening up the threaded barrel should not pose any problem. Just make sure you have enough thread length to take off the reel.

T88,

I'm in the process of gathering all the goodies to build a 1321M. A size 20 reel seat (Fuji deluxe model) is a nice fit. However, I'll be sliding it down the blank with no guides. Don't worry about the small reel foot fitting on the seat. My VS250 fits with no problems and yes, there's a ton of extra threads sticking out the back. The seat could probably hold a reel with foot an inch shorter. My original thought was the same as yours (shorten the seat). But two things changed my mind. First, this rod may get pressed into some bait fishing action if guest or two a go fishing with me and the reel I have for bait fishing has a very long reel foot. Second point is that my hand position on the reel (between pinky and ring finger) means those extra threads are just that, extra. They will not effect my comfort or use of the rod so why bother trying to cut the seat down and either ruin it or effect it's strength.

Just my $0.02

John E

[This message has been edited by John E (edited 12-19-2001).]

Dear John:

Thanks for the input. I had not considered those other points.

I do not want to paint myself into a corner by over engineering this.

Hey check out salthearts question on downlocking seats.

I may consider it what about you?

Thanks agin for the input.

T88

T88,

Mine's going to be a spinner and I'm used to having the threads uplocking on a spinner so I'll probably stick with that. It's something to think about though. It will come down to what I think will be more comforatable to hold...some reel seat and cork tape or the threads. I think Ditch Jigger uses his spinners with the seats downlocking (at least I think that's what I saw but it was late and I was tired so who knows). Hopefully he'll read this and add his input.

John E