JoeB

Spiral wrap boat rod

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Ok guys, I'm currently debating between these three blanks:

GUSA SW70MH

Calstar GF700ML

Lami CGBT 841M

What guides do you guys recommend? Like the subject says, going to go with a spiral wrap and would like to use top-quality components. I don't want low-end stuff on a rod built for targeting fish of a lifetime (hopefully wink.gif ).

Thanks.

I agree...I've used the alconites before on a ighter action casting rod and like them alot. But I still would like some help with guide sizes and numbers of each. smile.gif The rod will most likely be matched to either an Avet SX with 300yds of 65# power pro or a penn jigmaster with 50# fireline.

Joe,

As far as guide size goes the spiral boat rods I have built started with a 16mm stripper guide, then down to a 12mm to start the transition to another 12mm, then a bunch of 10mm's to finish off the tip section. These rods had a total of 7 guides and were 6'6" to 7' rods with 12" butt sections. Another consideration is the width of your reel. With a wider spooled reel like a 7000 abu you might want to start with a 20mm stripper to prevent any line pile up.

It was a trial and error process for me when I first did one.

Good Luck Joe!

And lets see some pics of the finished product!

smile.gif

MN 20 16 12 & 10

Buy 1 20 & 16, 2 12's, and 8 10's.

What are you using these rods for? Search teh archives, I'm sure I posted a bunch of info regarding spiral wraps & Alconite guides. I don't have time to re-post.