Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neil

A good "Bomber" rod?

Rate this topic

1 post in this topic

Hi Al, Neil.It seems that many here are fans of the Lamiglas Ron Arra Series of surf rod blanks.This is great if one has $200.00+ to spend on just the blank,not to mention the hardware.My budget won't allow such material self-actualization(Mazlow).

I do however have a bunch of L blems I got from MH about this time last year. Every one is arrow straight; only flaws are in the finish and that down towards the butt.

Anyhow I have a couple of GLB 901MT's and it so happens that I also have some"generic" super E glas 2 piece 9 and 10 ft blanks. The ferrule end of the butt section slides down over the 901 to give a nice slip-fit for a glue joint of 6".This gives me a blank just shy of 11ft rated for 1/2-21/4 oz lures and up to 30lb line.Seems to me this ought to make one he!! of a Bomber rod.Would be built around a Nautil 650 with 50lb PP to eliminate any need for a shock leader and would,I think,be a prime candidate for the"Concept"system using a combination of LR's and Alconite J's.

Don't much care for the LR's out towards the tip. Feel that they're too"long" and will compromise weight,action and recovery time if placed close enough to get full loading of the blank under a heavy fighting load.So the 1st 3 above the reel will Lr's and the rest Alconite J's in the YLG frame.That is the"Idea" at least for starters.

My concern here is that even with the butt trimmed to get blank of 9feet the action will require timing so fine as to make it a real PITA to cast.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this matter when you have a"mo" or so.

Also anyone else is welcome to"pitch-in" on this as well.

Sergio if you read this I'd like to know the distance in"INCHES" from the reel spool lip to the 20mm Lr on the rod in the picture with that magnificant trout.Thanks all. Neil