Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gadwall8

Ferrule and single foot wraps

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Al,

I think I unnerstand the underwrap method but need a few Q answered.

I plan on using metalic thread for the underwrap. When I wrap the ferrule, I try to get the wrap as close to the end as possible. If I only have the underwrap at the very end (leaving a 1/16""trim" ring), will I be compromising the strength of the re-enforcement by any practical degree?

Should I wrap the ferrule as tight as possible, or just as tight as I would wrap a guide?

I have single foot REC "recoil" guides in lieu of snakes (1 size 6, the balance 5's) can I use the same under wrap 1/16" long at each end (as for the 4 strippers) or should I just have the the trim at the butt end of the wrap.

Blank is a 9ft Lami 10wt. 2 peice.

Thanks for your help, you are the Best!heart.gif

Gadwall

cwm15.gif

[This message has been edited by gadwall8 (edited 07-22-2001).]

It sounds like you are wrapping a fly rod. With a #5 running recoil guide it does not appear to be a fly rod for saltwater applications. Am I right or wrong?

If it is not for saltwater use then you can eliminate the underwrap. Just make sure you buff the guide feet smooth on top and bottom of the guide.

The ferrule should be wrapped with the same tension (not too tight) as the guides. Try to keep the guide away from the ferrule.

Al

Al,

It it a 10wt flyrod for saltwater. The guides are H&H braced strippers 20, 16, 16, 12, (1)"recoil" single foot #6, "recoil" single foot #5 (6 total), Tip.

The #5 guides look kind of small to me maybe I should exchange a couple for some more #6's?

If you think I'm on the verge of screwing up let me know! I can take it.

Thanks,

Gadwall

I have no experience with the recoil guides. I use strictly Fuji's. However, regardless of the manufacturer, get the largest running guides available in the recoil, no smaller than a #8. Also, make sure your tip ring is at least a #8.

Al

The Recoil guides aren't sized the same as Fuji guides. A #5 Recoil single foot guide is about the same diameter as a #8 Fuji. I built a saltwater rod with the Recoil guides this year and so far, so good. I used all size 6 and one 5. I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Domer (edited 07-23-2001).]