Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeB

I'm getting started...

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Just order Kirkman's book as recommended through a search of the archives. My goal this off-season is to make my first custom.

Question: I really don't have the tools, time, or work-space to build my own accessories/wrapping tools, etc (stands, thread tension devices, yatta, yatta). So, my quest to find an internet source for the essentials will begin shortly. I would appreciate any information and suggestions you guys could give regarding what I should get and where I should purchase from.

Thanks!

PS. Is it recommended wrap a certain style rod (spinning vs. conventional vs. flyrod) as your "first"...curious to know if one or the other is easier for a complete novice to build.

Joe,

Check your P.M.s

As for types of rods? I'd say either spin or conventional for a first rod. With Toms book you will be able to build a great first rod. I'd build whichever rod you fish most as you will need to be intimately familiar with the use of said rod to better understand the variables and what you are seeing/feeling/hearing as you test cast it.

As for equipment?

All you need to begin is a mug to hold the thread spool (so it wont run around the house) a heavy book, like the dictionary and some weight to pile on the book for extra thread tension, if needed.

A cardboard box can be made into a "V" block by cutting a v shaped notch on each of two opposing sides.

Youl'll need a razor blade, some epoxy for gluing the grips and reelseat and a finish for the thread. A drying motor is a great thing to have, but you can do the spinning by hand while you watch a movie or two.

I think that about covers the tools.

Good luck and welcome to getting closer to the terminal stage of the fishing disease biggrin.gif

CD

Joe,

Welcome to the craft. I hope you have an idea of what you are getting into.

Cabela's Tacklecraft catalog is a good source for inexpensive tools. However, the set up that CD suggested is fine. That's how I started.

Check your PM's.

Al

Al,

I started rolling rods in my lap, with no blocks. Talk about carpal irritation!!

Now the sickest of us, I include you Al biggrin.gif , have loads of wrapping/building gear.

We should all get together and have a Renzetti shootout. We could hot rod the lathes like the saws in the Timbersports series on ESPN smile.gif

Imagine how fast you could do an underwrap if you had a few hundred horses of turbo gas power attached to your headstock!! icon14.gif

Yeah baby biggrin.gif

Thanks for the replies guys (keep 'em coming!! smile.gif ). I just received my Cabelas Tackle catalog in the mail last week and have been going through it, trying to decipher which components are the best quality. I would rather build fewer rods, but have them all be top-notch quality (guides, etc) than be stuck with lesser quality gear.

I'm truely a fly fisherman at heart, but my searches here have made it clear that building a fly rod is a bit different. So I'jm content to go one step at a time.