guide spacing for a 1208

Rate this topic

Angryeel

Hi Al, I just snapped the top few inches off of an allstar 1088, now a very stout boat rod. Anyway, I am going to wrap a 1208 Pac Bay blank to replace it. I am planning on taking 6" off the butt, to make the rod 9'6", with a 24", to center of seat, butt section. I am wondering if I have the correct number and size of guides to work with. I have heavy ring hardaloy 20, 16, 16, followed by bnlg 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, and a 12 tip. Does this seem like a reasonable place to start? Obviously, a stress distribution will make the final decision, but I want to make sure I have all that I need before I start. I do have an extra 12, just in case. Also, is there any reason not to mix the two guide types? The only reason I have the lighter ring 12s is that is what was available at my local b+t and I would like to get the rod done asap, as I currently have no plugging rod. Almost forgot, the reel will be a 965, or 6500 sized abu, depending on the conditions I am fishing. Thanks for any help.

Gabe

I'd push a 25 gathering guide out to about 30 inches. Then 20 , 16 , 16 , 12 , 12 , 12 , then decide if the 8th guide , a 12 , is needed with a stress test. 12 tip.

You could also go 25 , 20 , 16 , 16 , 12 , 12 , 10 and maybe another 10 with a 10 tip if you intend to use a thin braid.

OK, I just wrapped this rod, only it was the Allstar version. I left it 10ft. Went with a 25-20-16-16-12-12-12-12-12 and 10 tip. The 25 is 30" from the reel. The difference is, I'm using a 7500C3 on it and I fear that the collector 25 is either too small or too close as 30". The line appears to "gather" on the cast and is causing casting issues about 1/2 way through the cast - it's most aggravating.

What config would you recommend for the 1208 with a 7500C3 as the primary reel? In hindsight, I'm wondering if may I shouldn't have moved the collector out to 33" and made it a 30 BNLG instead of a 25.

Helpicon15.gif

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Will do Al, thanks smile.gif

I made it work at the Ditch...but only by really taming the 7500C3 by adding 2 brake blocks...I generally cast with zero blocks...it was killing my distance but was better than the backup of line I was getting from the fast spool.

Wonder if replacing the 25 with a 30 would do it? I'll try adding the 20 5" in front of the 25...it'll look like a funny Alberto rodwink.gif

TimS

Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Tim,

What you are experiencing is common to all conventional rods where the spool and line is coming off faster then the guides can accomodate. The result is a big balloon of line in front of the stripper guide. This results in alot of wave motion as the line shoots through the guides.

The added guide will further reduce the wave amplitude and should result in a longer cast.

Al

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 07-22-2002).]

Tims, if the extra 20 doesnt do it, my 1201m has a 30, that is only 28" from center of reel seat. That will accomodate a 7 size abu with mono, I would think if you went up to a 30, you would not have a problem. Do you like that blank with that size reel? Seems like more reel than that rod can use, my 1088, allstar, seems very happy with 35lb spectron on the 965 or 6500, at least it was until I broke it.

Angryeel

For a 7500 reel and no cut down , Id go 30 , 25 , 20 , 16 , 16 , 12 , 12 , 10 and a 10 tip. Since its Tim I'm assuming 65 lb Whiplash on the reel. The gathering guide about 32 to 36 from the reel but that depends (a little) on the butt length. The ocilation Al mentions appears to me to be really accentuated by a levelwind.

I dont think just changing the 25 to a thirty is enough. I think you'll need to change the 25 and the 20 and the first 16 then put the extra 16 where the first 12 is now. Because you will be going to the higher 30 further out , all the guides will be higher and further out till the last couple so 8 guides will probably do it but check with a stress test.

Saltheart...sounds like you want me to chop up my new wraps and start over cwm31.gif

I'm gonna try Al's suggestion first...it'll certainly require less effort wink.gif I do happen to agree with you, a 30 at about 32" is what I'm thinkin' would have been a better bet..but it's too late now. If I have to, I'll re-do the first 4 guidescwm24.gif

TimS

Hope Al's trick works for you Tim.

What I've found about cutting a guide off and redoing it is its a lot of worrying and trying to avoid it but once you go for it its over in twenty minutes. Then you feel good cause its right! smile.gif

Since you hope to fish the rod for a long time ,eventually the twenty minutes means nothing. In this case since you have to do many its about two hours work plus refinishing but its worth it in the long run.

Oh yeah , one last thing. Play with the placement of the 30 mm guide. Its very much higher than the 25 and with the 7500 reel , you may be able to push it out beyond 32 ". I like to use small electrical ties and then overtape then go field test. You don't want to have to do it a third time! smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Saltheart (edited 07-24-2002).]