Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AdrianF

help choosing a new stick...

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hello everybody!

I am currently looking for a new stick to wrap up for the winter time. Figured I'd ask ya guys for yer opinions smile.gif

Looking for a stick, 10 to 11', one peice if 10' but its most likly gonna have to be a 2 peice if its over 10' (cant fit an 11' one peice in my exploder). Its gonna be a one spot specific stick so versatility is not very important. Mostly I throw 1 to 1.5 oz. bucktails, but occasionaly go as low as 3/4 oz and as high as 2. Very rarely are plugs going to be thrown, and if they are they are within the 3/4 to 2 oz range. I really want this stick to send a bucktail as far as friggin possible smile.gif Also, something with some backbone to muscle em outta the current would be good also. Reel would most likly be a nautil 7500 loaded with 30lb braid.

Right now im leaning towards an arra 1321, its a lil expensive for me, but i could swing it. Do you guys have any other blanks that you recomend? Allstar perhaps? I recall some posts about the allstar 1265 i beleive it was, any thoughts on them?

Thanks alot

Adrian

Ypu may want to try the Pacific Bay 1207 or 1208 blank. They cost less than half the price of the Lami and there a good over all blank. Last year I built a rod using the 1208 blank and I've been very happy with it's performance when using plugs in the 1 to 2 oz range.

The 1321-2 is is the best bet if your going to 11'. The only other blank in that range that I know of and may suit you is the Rainshadow 1264F or the 1386F.

I think your 1 to 1.5 OZ frequent use range requires a lighter rod like the Arra 1321 you mentioned. If you can settle for 9 feet , the GSB 108-1L would probably work out well at least for the casting part.

When you say you need some backbone for fighting fish in a current , just how much current do you mean (in knots)?

Adrian,

What year explorer? My 11' fit in the 2 I had have (94/2002). In the new truck, you need to put the tip down in front of the passenger seat/leg area. In the '94, fit right down the middle with the tip resting on the dash.

the breakaway 1265 is perfect for 2oz. at 10'6" and 2 pieces, it breaks down nicely for travel. in so far as backbone for fighting fish, i've never landed a fish bigger than 8 lbs on it (bluefish), and had a couple of fish on for a while that were considerably bigger (feelining anyway) that eventually threw the hook. the nickname for the rod is "spanishbuster" so i think that it was designed to launch a stingsilver styled bait a long way for spanish and blues. i would like to have the opportunity to have a 25#+ striper at the other end to see what to would do to the rod.

i am building a breakaway 1477 special (rated 2 to 5oz) for throwing 3oz (ideal weight) plugs and lures. at 12'8" full length, it seems to have the backbone to handle some big bass while casting a stingsilver styled bait out of sight. will have to see how well it does with plugs as i am just starting to get into plug fishing a little more seriously.

Adrian - if this is your only project for the Winter, and you can "swing" it, I'd get the best I could afford. You're going to put your time and energy into building the best stick, my opinion is to build it on the best stick you can. The 1321 is really light & moron's like myself can cast things really far.

I will also say unless you can pick up the blank locally, I am not allowing you to mail order the blank. Shipping is something like $80-$120 for 1 piece blanks over 10'. You're better off paying a little bit more and picking hte blank up from a local shop.

The Lami GSB 108-1L is a great 1-1.5 oz bucktail rod and if you dont like it at 9 ft just extend it by 12-18 inches. That's exactly what one of my winter project will be this year. I just got a rogue blank (cheep)that was 9ft and I extended it 18 inches and could not be more pleased. Its a bit lighter then the 1081L and will be great for bombers and small stuff 1/2 to 1oz. But I dont think you could go wrong with 1081 at 9ft. Hope this helps, Bruce

Saltheart,

I honestly dont knowthe exact speed, but if i had to guess, id say about 4 knots max.

John,

I got the 2 door sport, so its a lil shorter. My 1201L just fits from top of dashboard to rear window, will try from backwindow to passenger floor, but i doubt that'll be enough to fit it. The ride im using ride now would fit it, but its only temporary till i get a new transmission in the exploder

Billy,

Dont worry, I wasnt planning on getting it shipped smile.gif thats way too much money for a poor college student to blow on shipping charges.

In regards to the 1081L, i kinda feelin what billy said. Im only gonna build one rod, and since I probly do close to 50% of my fishng in one spot, I might as well get the "Perfect" stick for it. It seems like the Arra is the main choice right now, I just wanna find a place that stocks em so i can atleast give it a wiggle first.

A.F - good for you. When do you need this rod by? ErikT picked his 1321 up from CMS in Mass, I also think Mike from Cape Cod Tackle has them in stock, but I could be wrong. Take advantage of this site, if nobody close to you stocks them, find an SOL'er who has one and will let you throw stuff with it one night. Then ask if any Cape Cod guys are coming to NJ (Holidays maybe), maybe a NJ guy is going to teh Cape, and see if they'll pick it up for you. I'm sure someone here will look out for you to save you a hundred bucks on shipping.

I'll be sending you an E-mail this week for that other thing, maybe I'll have ErikT bring his stick by and you can cast his if you don't find someone yourself first.

Billy, wont be needed till next spring since the seasons winding down now. Will make some phone calls to places here in jersey to see if anybodys got one in stock i could check out, however i doubt anybody in jersey's got one. If no luck there I'll try the other ideas ya mentioned.

I got about 5 months till its needed, so no big rush really.

Same reaction as Saltheart's. Hmmm - there can't be much difference in price between the 132-2 and the 132-1, and the former has good power, of the two it might be better in a current. Ditch Jigger has both I think, Ditch ... ?

Ditch only has the 1322 in the 11' Arras.

But he has the 1204 and that's perfect for 1 to 1.5 bucks and the occasional plug to 2 oz. I wouldn't spend more $$$ for another foot of rod in the 1321 if that was all I was ever going to toss with it.