Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Original-Bart

newbe Question

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I do mostly fresh water lake fishing.

I have a Garcia rod that I am trying to save My dad gave it to me when I was 14 that was 39 years ago. The rod is in good shape is there a way to refresh the color of the rod it has a few scratches in the surface. I have already Have experience putting guides on another rod I really enjoyed it great fun.

You have a nice forum here great reading thanks. smile.gif

Wow, you are in for a long painstaking renovation there!!

Most likely, the coating they used has turned yellow due to oxidation and uv damage. You can strip the guides and then wetsand the old finish off. I'd use 400 grit and I'd use my lathe, but you could do it ny hand if yo have loads of time. Sand a small area a bit and wipe with water, sand and wipe, sand and wipe. When you begin to see the color coming off on the sand paper, you are there! Move on to the next section and so on. You will need to overcoat it with a clear coat and re-wrap the rod. The best stuff is Permagloss, but it might react with the old color on the blank. My guess is, you will need a two part epoxy like Flex Coat. It can be wiped on in a super thin coat with a surgical glove, or another trick of Tom Kirkmans... Lightly load a sponge brush with the finish and stick the blank through a tiny hole in the sponge. Slide the sponge down the blank in one smooth motion and stand the blank upright to dry.

CD

The rod hasn't yellowed believe it or not. I carried this rod across the handle bar of my 10 Speed to go fishing as a boy The only time it was out in the sun was when being used.

Thanks for the information.

I didn't think you were asking about an ambered clear coat. Garcia rods of that era were painted - with exactly what, I have no idea - and with use, scratches and chips in the finish revealing the brown fiberglass blank beneath were very common. I guess you could try some automotive touchup paint if you find a little bottle in a really good color match, but odds are the attempted cure will look worse than the wound. You could go for a complete re-paint while it's stripped down. Or just enjoy its little battle scars and leave it as-is which is what I'd be most inclined to do.