Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seahoss

Beginner

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

What's the best way to get into rod building? Are there any good videos to help a beginner. I know there are classes, but I think they are over for the summer. How about good books?

Seahoss;

Best bang for the buck is Tom Kirkman's book "Rod Building Guide". There is also Dale Clemens book "Advanced Custom Rod Building". I'm not a big video fan so I'm no help there.

Seahoss,

When I wanted to build my first rod I was lucky enough to find a local builder who was willing to allow me to use his space and equipment. He also showed me how to do each step. All he asked was for money to cover any supplies I used and to help a little with cost of electricity to keep the shop open after hours and to run drying motors etc. In the end I gave him costs plus what I generalized to be the price of hourly lessons. We were both very happy with the way things worked out. It cost me a bit more for the end product, but I found it invaluable having someone there to show me the ropes, look over my shoulder and particularly to help when I hit a snag. I had done a bit of reading before I started to build and there is no comparison between decifering words and hands on teaching. It has been about a year since I finished my first rod and I have done several by my self since then. I now take what I learned from him, what I've learned from reading and this site, and what I've learned from my own mistakes and experiments and use a little of each in my rods. I really don't think my rods would have been 25% as well built or attractive if I tried to learn from a video or reading or even a group class. You might look into finding someone to work with you privately. Be prepared that building is extremely addictive. Good luck...

CMS Enterprises in Dartmouth does classes in the fall/winter. From what I have heard they are very good/informative.

I would contact some of the local shops to see if they do offer or would be willing to offer classes. It would have to be off season I am sure. Everyone is pretty busy now.