Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandcrab

Back to square one?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Working on putting together my first rod - an Allstar 1265-2 blank. I ordered the guides for this blank but did not order the correct tip top as suggested by the All Star specs (5.5) but instead ordered (don't ask me why) a PST 12/11 tip top.

My guide layout using NSG guides is 25-20-16-16-12-12-12-12-tip top. I stress tested these with the PST 12/11 tip top and the the rod cast great. My question is - As the larger top is way too big to fit on the rod and I have to change out the tip top to the smaller 8/5.5, should I relook at the guide setup and change some of the smaller guides nearest the tip top to size 10's or 8's?

Thanks to all the help on this board, I have the lower part of the blank almost done - cork tape rear and fore grips and reel seat. smile.gif . I feel I cannot begin to work on the top blank until I figure out how to go about the tip top problem and re-test the blank with the smaller recommended tip top.

Thanks

Sandcrab

Yes, no and maybe. If the rod casts great now, then you could just build up the tip with thread and mount the top you have now. That's one possiblity.

Then again, the general rule is to use the smallest and lightest guides that will still perform the required task in the manner you expect. So, if size 8's on the tip will still pass your line and any shock leader knot (if you use one) and cast just as far (maybe farther) then you'd probably want to drop to size 8's. A lighter rod, particularly near the tip, is a more efficient rod. It would feel lighter and balance in the hand better. By a little, at least.

The last option you have is to order a new top with a 12 ring, and the smallest tube size you can get. I can't remember what the smallest tube for that size ring is, but I'd suspect you can get a 7 or 8 perhaps. Make your thread trim wrap extend under the top and seat the tip top on that. A 5.5 or 6 rod tip, layered with one wrap of D thread will usually bump you up to a size 7 or so top tube. This would be the easiest thing to do and the rod would still cast at least as good as it does now, which seems to be pretty well from what you say.

Tom,

First let me thank you again for the copy of your book you sent me earlier. It is my reference book that I use to refer too and got me so excited I decided to enter rod building. smile.gif

So I can either build up the rod tip with thread and epoxy to make it fit the PST 12/11 top or find a new top that is 5.5mm but has a larger ring? The most common size that I can find for a 5.5mm is the #8.

Tom Kirkman

Editor/Publisher

RodMaker Magazine

I never knew there was such thing as a rodbuilder magazine cwm40.gif

Tom, If there's a website for it could you E-mail me the addy ???