Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeStaten

Lami XS 81 MS

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Al,

Do you know what guides Lami uses on this rod? If so do you happen to know the model that they use for the guide following the tip, the tip is a 7 tube with a #10 ring, I'm pretty sure the guide is a #16 ring. I know it's a fuji hardloy and it appears to be a heavy surf guide. Mine cracked. Also what do you think of the Seeker 708 or 806 with a Newell 332 for light tuna and dorado down in Mazatlan? How bout the Pro Gear 251? Thanks, Mike

Mike,

I do not know the guides lami uses on the XS81 you described. However, my guess would be a Fuji BNLG. If the tip ring is a #10 then you should replace the guide with either a #10 or #12.

The seeker CLB708 is a favorite blank of mine and would be excellent for mahi and small tuna (less 50lb). I would stay away from the Newell and Pro Gear since their quality has really taken a downturn. Think about the new Penn 225GL or the Shimano TLD15.

Al

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 07-27-2001).]

I think Lami uses Pac Bay Hialoy guides on their factory rods---and maybe this is something Todd should talk to the suits about wink.gif

They're definitely Fuji(stamped on the frame) and they're kinda flared out and rounded, hard to explain but they definitely don't have the shape of regular double foot spinning guides, they're heavier and they look like some kinda special surf guide or something. Mike

Ditch, I believe Lamiglas used to use Fuji guides...then switched to Pac Bay...and then about 3 or 4 years ago switched back to Fuji.

Which was a good thing smile.gif

TimS

It's sensible and prudent that Lami has a regular presence here. It's mildly amazing that Penn does not. Or Sabre, or Allstar ...

I assume this board gets read by marketing people who don't care to post, but where are the technical personnel who could put a knowledgeable face on the companies? Todd, I'm glad you're here; it does surprise me that you don't have more company. Accurate does post occasionally on the **** board, and that's about the only other regular manufacturing presence that I see.

I believe you will find that most companies run into the problem that posts are often considered as advertising their line and unless they are paying to advertise on a board the posts are often removed by the moderators.A second problem occurs in the simple fact that while many companies produce components their main thrust is their own rod sales,a few such as Lamiglas are lucky enough to have someone like Todd to make posts on this type of board.Some of the boards that allow advertising become a buy me type of thing and do not offer the help that this one does,just my opinion

John

Welcome John,

I was hoping you would pop up on this Board some day. We still need to trade stories about the Northfork and the old Brand X.

I am making plans to come down to the Rodcrafters Orlando seminar in October. Hope to see you there. I probably will bring down the Brooklyn contingent with me.

Best,

Al

Hey Al

definitely looking forward to the Orlando seminar,only problem I have with this board is home sickness after reading you're fishing reports.On a more serious note one can always learn more about rod building thru this type of board,it offers more insight into what components are being used in other parts of the country,many of which can be adapted to a different local.

Great Job

John

OK, to straighten out the history, we first started with the Pac Bay only due to our input from out your way and that we were told we had to have the 70mm guide. Well after 3 years we switched to the Fuji mainly because we felt that we were better off with a better quality guide.

We are using the BNOG guides.

Todd

------------------

Todd Vivian

todd@lamiglas.com

http://www.lamiglas.com