Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
danefraz

New Builder, Trolling on a fly blank

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

In the quest for light-gear trolling action in a casting rod format...

Pre-made doesn't exist in a light action for reasonable $$ - everyone wants to sell baseball bats with guides attached - where's the finesse?

I'm not a fan of trigger grip real seats, and we use Ambassador C4 6600 series reels exclusively. We have 8-10lb mono and different 18lb lead core setups.

Our catch is primarily trout in the 1 to 8 pound class with the heaviest lure being a 3/8oz krocodile. (no flashers, but an occasional small dodger).

I'm looking to build a custom pair of rods on something similar to the following:

5-6wt 8 foot 2 piece graphite fly blank

butt dia: .344 and tip is 5/64.

I'm looking at a handle / seat combo that's 18 1/4 ".

Fuji NSG eyes 12-10-10-8-8-8-8

and probably 2 extra 8's based on the action of the rod.

Fiji PST tip top.

Fuji tip ? - This is where I'm befuddled about tip size: 5/64 is about 2mm and I'm missing the boat on what's the equivalent tip size do I buy a 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7 ?

Any help or insight on my project would be greatly appreciated. Any by-catch that I should be wary of?

Thanks,

Dane

You should look at a Cabelas production steelhead downrigger rod or steelhead casting rod rated for 1/2-1.5 ounces.

You can easily build one on an equivalent graphite blank. However, the cost of the components will probably exceed the cost of the production rod.

Al