Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stroth

???Wrapper&FinishingMotor???

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I've decided to invest in a wrapper and finishing motor. I've done a few searches here and narrowed the products down to these.

FlexCoat cgm18rpm (I figure I'm better off with this one, any thoughts)

HW1 Hand Wrapper

I've wrapped a couple of rods in my lap and I don't think it is that difficult, but I had a wicked (as we say in ma) hard time lining up the guides. Seems like I could never get the damn rod straight or lined up correctly I'm hoping the hand wrapper will fix this problem.

Does anyone out there reccomend better products or have some issues relating to these.

Surfcaster out of CT is selling them for 69.95 for the motor and 59.95 for the wrapper, I couldn't find a better deal.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Stroth

I'm sure other more experienced members will chime in shortly. Until then....

IMHO, that's a lot of $ for what that wrapper is. I have the small Flexcoat wrapper and that is fine for flyrods and as an additional support in my current setup. The supplied tensioner will twist and crack metallic threads so keep that in mind.

I'm using a jig I bought at Clemmens Tackle(RIP) That has rollers and a tensioner that works on the spool rather than the thread itself. It cost me about $80. Check Cabela's and Goldenwitch for similar jigs.

As for the drying motor There are some two speed models around that look pretty handy for about the same money as the Flexcoat. I built my own. Motors are cheap look at http://www.sciplus.com/index.cfm

If you decide to go flexcoat, check the prices at hookhack.com they are 20% less wink.gif

gad

Hey:

thanks for the quick reply....i checked out hookhack, their prices were little higher, about a buck or two more on each item...

I'm not that handy when it comes to building things, so I don't want to build my own. I'd rather spend the time wrapping.

Does the hw1 twist other threads or just the metalic ones?

Stroth

i looked at cabelas, trying to find the jig you were talking about.

is it a clamp on one?

Here's another question as I haven't used a drying motor. I'm assuming the butt end of the rod goes into the chuck, the rod rotates and you apply finish and let dry. Once you insert the rod do how do you stabilize it near the tip. Do you have to set up another v-block? Will the rod just rotate in the block? Or is it tight enough in the chuck so you don't need additional support?

Stroth

wrapper=sewing machine motor with foot pedal...

supports=bought roller blade wheels and made stands with wood bases and scrap aluminum and drum hardware..2 wheels on the bottom one wheel over the top locking the blank in,,also poured lead in the bases so there heavy and stay where i put them.

dryer motor=rotisserere motor from gas grill..

dryer box=1/2" AC plywood, expands to 15 feet vented top one end bottom the other,vents covered with wifeys nylon stockings..heated box, hooks around the inside support one set of large clear outdoor xmas lights..same rod supports from wrapper fit inside dryer box..box temp around 96 degrees...

chuck to hold rod blank to motor arbor= 2 inch masking tape...abors on motors made from cork tape, epoxy, anything to build up to blank size...

dats it. factory finish on shoestring budget..

oopps one more thing

thread tensioning device. ceramic fly tying thingy ..

[This message has been edited by Tagger (edited 11-30-2002).]

Hey Stroh,Head back to Cabellas and check out their dryer.It comes with a stand and a chuck.Good buy.Hook it up with a cord with an on-off switch and you are in business.A Flex Coat hand wrapper from mud hole is a good,reasonably priced unit,and easy to expand into a power wrapper with a motor and a foot pedal.PH

Thanks guys I appreciate your help.

I'll give Cabelas another look, or I suppose I could try to rig something up. The rollerblade wheel idea is a good one.

Hey:

thanks for the quick reply....i checked out hookhack, their prices were little higher, about a buck or two more on each item...

Stroth

They deduct the 20% when you place the order, it's right there in red on the main page. smile.gif

gad

wow....i checked again....icon15.gif

you were right...turns out the order would be at least 35 bucks cheaper and i think they throw in the extra stand that other companies make you pay 12 bucks for....

I'd better tell santa. I did some more cwm15.gifing and found out that the motor would line right up witht the wrapper, no need to rig up anything...that would be by support.

I'm going to wait a few days and see if I get any other feedback, but i'm pretty sure that's what I'm going with.

Not sure if anyone is interested or still reading these posts, but I picked up this wrapper on ebay it looks pretty sweet huh?

Wrapper.jpg

Apparently the builder is a woodworker/rodbuilder/fisherman.

I'll have a review in a few days and he does have others posted.

Stroth

It's perfect. That's what I used when I first started wrapping. Now all you need is a drying motor and you are set. The v-blocks on the wrapper will support the rod when it is drying.

Al:

Are there specific motors you recc. I've been looking at the Flex-Coat 18 r.p.m. model, but if there is one better please let me know.

Matt

Don't go nuts buying a dryer, the surplus place gadwall suggested is a good place to buy a motor from.

The dryer I use was very easy to put together (took about 15 minutes) and has less than 7 or 8 bux invested to it.

drrryer1.jpg

dryyyyer2.jpg

------------------

Ed J

EdJ@StripersOnline.com

There is guy on Ebay selling a bunch of motors with foot pedal. His price is $19.99 in case your interested.

I personally bought a rotisserie motor at job lot and fabricated a chuck with pvc, thumbscrews and elastic.