Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
qhg

Dick French

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

QHG,

Where have you been hiding?

Dick is about to open his new component supply business. I spoke to him last week and he is taking care of a few last minute items.

As soon as I know that he is open for business I will post the information.

Al

Al!

Good to hear from you. Hope all is well.

Since we last spoke, my life can be summarized in one word - KIDS

Speaking of which, I will have the place to myself for the next few months. The dining room will be transformed into a rod building factory.

Wife and kids leave tomorrow, I need a lathe.

Q,

Are you still in the city or did you move north?

I had a week's vacation last week in Montauk. I think I picked the wrong week. We had constant wind and rain. Lots of bass, blues and fluke when you could get out on the boat.

Al

Al,

Last year we moved up to Bronxville, landlocked.

Sorry to hear about your vacation. Hope the next few weeks are good. Check this out - came from todays Bergen Record:

Asbury Park, - a school of dolphin had the bunkers corralled tight to the beach in Sea Girt. The dolphin could be seen feasting on these baits for their first meal of the day. This saved boaters the extra miles they didn't have to travel to get into some nice-sized bass. Hook-ups came quickly with plenty of bass in the mid-20- to 30-pound range.

No need at all to wait for a lathe, qhg. Andy Renzetti, who was the design engineer on the original and is the man behind those magnificent Renzetti fly-tying vices and accessories, has been back in production full-tilt on the lathes for quite a few years now. He's evolved many upgrades and improvements exclusive to him - thread carriage (the very best there is IMHO), motor and drive options and numerous other goodies - and is definitely worth a looksee. I bought mine direct from Andy quite a few years ago when he was still in Coatesville, PA, prior to relocating the operation to Titusville, FL, and was more focussed on cranking up the vice operation back then, and the lathe thing was a bit dormant with him. The quality - as with everything Andy produces - is just as good as it gets. Pretty easy to find on the web at Renzetti.com

Pretty much everything's tagged "Custom Builder" in there now although the Clemens name isn't quite entirely gone. Besides your catch, Dale's Speed Wrapper still appears, as well as the old name and logo on the pics of the rod finishes.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course wink.gif

how can i get a copy of the C and G catalog, i started rodbuilding this winter after they were out of business, so im not on their mailing list. any contact info? email? phone?

i cant bear the thought of a rodbuilding supplies catalog out there i dont have. lol

Not much in way of blanks and some of the tips list tube diameter only confused.gif , no Flexcoat or LS epoxies. Otherwise, it's Clemens all over again.

I hope he makes it, I always appreciated being able to drive to Clemmens to pick up blanks etc. smile.gif

gad

Al built me a spinning rod on a Clemens blank a few years ago that is getting more and more use this year. HOpe he does start dealing the Custom Builder blanks again. ........ why would you shut down one business and then restart the same stuff under a new name, anyway?