Need reviews/opinions about Zeebaas reels

Rate this topic

TomJF

I'm in the market for a new rod and reel. I am going to get a St. Croix Legend 9' 3/4-4 oz. I am thinking about getting a Zeebaas zx2 22 single pickup, to go with it. I thought I would try something new!

I've been searching for opinions/reviews on Zeebaas, but most of what I read is old posts.

I own 2 VS 150's and 1 VS 200 that I purchased 1999-2000. They have served me well, and are still in use. And no complaints, or issues.

So, let's hear the pro's and con's of the ZeeBass. I'm on the fence and can't decide which way to go.

Thanks

I had a ZB. I no longer have one, but have 5 VS reels. I would recommend using your 150 with your 9' legend. That is what I will be using tomorrow about 4am.

I see no advantage to ZB over VS. (except for looks, that ZB is damn sexy)

I have a ZB, ZX25 for a few years now. I never owned a VS. All I can say is after purchasing my ZB there was no need to look any further. It has always performed up to the occasion and has thus created a confidence factor that is unapproachable.

bob eisey,
LIBBA 1002, MSA 295

As stated earlier, I own 2 VS 150's and 1 VS 200 and they have served me well. I have no complaints. Well, one complaint, and that is they are not totally serviceable at home. You do have to send them in for some repairs, and once a year to keep the warranty current.

I felt the ZeeBaas could be completely serviced by me. All I need is a parts kit.

I don't want to purchase another VS and have to send it in every year. Done that for quite some time, then started servicing them myself. I wish VS had a better drag system. Other that these two issues I don't really have a need for the ZeeBass.

I have 1 VS150 on a Legend 9' 1-4oz, 1 VS 150 on a Ron Arra 1084-2, and the VS 200 on a Legend 10' 1-4. Maybe, I'll hold off on purchasing the ZeeBaas for now, and just pickup the Legend 9' 3/4-4 and retire the Ron Arra 1084.

I have experienced zb customer service first hand and I was very impressed. I can't say the same for vs because I don't own one, but from what I've heard it is less than spectacular

Gone Fishing- Be back for Hunting Season

I use to own:

1- VS 250

3- VS 200's

4- VS 150's

Never had any problems I could not fix myself. Very good reels.

Then I bit the bullet and purchased my first ZB, it was a 25. Liked it so much, I sold all of my Van staal's.

I now own:

1- ZB 27 (sold it)

5- ZB 25's (sold 1)

2- ZB 22's

1- ZB 20

What I like about the ZB:

Drag System

Ability to do 100% maintenance myself

Very easy manual line pick-up

Options for different handle sizes and knobs

Line lay on the spool ( I only use braided line, no mono)

Hope this helps. :)

I own a ZB25 and a VS250.

The ZB is nice and the people who run the show at ZB are great too. Generally speaking, the yearly costs to maintain the ZB have been much less. The VS has been expensive to maintain but equally a nice reel.

I live near ZB HQ and I like the idea of maintaining the parts myself. For me, that leans me in ZB direction. In retrospect, I would have gotten a ZB22 though as the VS250 size covers a certain size that is also covered by the ZB25.

hope this helps ;P

Dumb question - are the ZB's as waterproof as the VS's ? Can you use them in the surf in exactly the same way as a VS ?

Had two vs 200, now 2 zb22. So far the zb have held up to the water and sand as well as the vs did. But with the advantages that bowchamp pointed out. Made the switch this year. Still have a vs150 for 8'6" rod. Never had a problem with the vs reels.