Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

10' Spiral wrapped conventional plugger

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Saw a post on it somewhere, caught my interest. Is it a good idea or will it severely compromise it's ability to cast??

Braid + 6500 Abu mag throwing everything from Bombers and eels to big wood.

------------------

"If you liked your job as much as you like fishing, we'd be millionares." - My Wife

Sudsy,

I built a nine foot conventional spiral wrapped and I love it. Absolutely no compromise in casting. The important thing to remember is to spiral the guides gradually around the blank to minimize line friction through the guides. It should take a minimum of four guides to make the rotation around the blank.

Al

There is alot of discussion among builders about the advantages of a spiral wrapped rod. The two primary advantages are is fish fighting and less breakage.

For heavier applications the spiral wrap increases the stability of the rod when fighting a big fish. This is only true if the rod has been spined correctly. An excellent application is for stand up tuna rods.

Longer and lighter rods, even when spined correctly, will have a tendency to twist at the tip of the rod caused by the line going through the guides and wanting to rotate to below the rod.

By spiraling the guides the line will follow the rotation resulting in less torque on the rod. This torque could eventually result in the blank failing, a break, at a distance of 12-18 inches from the tip.

I hope this answeres your question.

I see what you're saying. So based on the fact that the rod wants to torque over at the tip, the spiral wrap would only be an advantage on a conventional rod, as the tip guide on a spinner would be on the bottom already and would not want to torque.