Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stripped Gear

Conventional rod for surf and the canal

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hi Al,

I am interested in building a conventional rod. I gave up using my Penn Squider when the mitchell 302 was popular and easier and now I have decided to revert back. I will be casting (after relearning the technique)jigs up to 4 or 5 ounces and plugs in the range of 2 to 4 ounces. I have looked at and compared the Sabre IGSC 1209 with the All Star BGSW 1209 & 1208 and spoke with a few people about this and I think that the All Star 1208 10' would do the job. I have heard that you are one of the premier rod builders and I really would appreciate your advice regarding the above and the rest to follow.

A very generous shop owner offered free rod wrapping lessons and I have accepted his offer feeling that this would be a good winter project to help retain my sanity until spring and back to fishing.

Considering the possibility of using Whiplash line, What brand and type of guides would you recommend that I use. How many guides? What would be the best reel seat to use? I will be using the squidder until I save some more pennies and purchase a level wind reel. What reel would you recomend for the above? I should probably mention that the rod will be one piece.

Thanks,

Stripped Gear

Stripped,

The Allstar 1208 is a very nice blank. However, it's rated from 1-3 ounces. You may want to look at the 1209. i would solicit input from other members of the Board on this.

As far as guides I am a Fuji fan. I would invest the money in Fuji SIC HNSG guides. If SIC are too costly for you than go with the HNLG Fuji guides.

For a ten foot rod I would go with 6-7 guides depending on the results of a stress distribution test (aka Static Deflection).

Guide sizes as follows: 20, 16, 12, 12, 10, 10, 10 plus a UST SIC tip.

Take your time with it and enjoy the experience. It may be the beginning of a whole new thing for you. That's how I started more then thirty years ago.

Al

Al

Hi Al,

Thanks for responding to my request.I had given a lot of thought to the 1209 but one of the board said that it was rated for 4-8 oz and the 1208 was 2-6 oz. thus my choice changed to the 1208. I am very glad I wrote to you regarding my choice. Now I will go with the 1209.

I am retired and on a fixed income but I don't want to sacrifice quality when I will have a big investment in time building this rod. Hopefully it will last a long time and I would hate to loose a good fish due to a poor quality guide damaging my line.

Can you give me an estimate on the cost of the Fuji SIC guides? Just so I can prepare for it.

Thanks again for your opinion. I really appreciate you taking the time evaluate my request.

Stripped Gear

You know, it's funny. The All Star blank catalog does rate the 1208 for 1-3 ounces, and when I had the rod built Mike T showed me the catalog and expressed the same reservations. We decided to go ahead and build it and that I would try it for Canal jigging, and report back to him so he could advise buyers on the real rating. One ounce doesn't even begin to load it--I've thrown 5 with no problems. Tres at Hatteras Outfitters, and Nick Meyer at Breakaway, differ in their opinions, too. Tres rates the 1208 for 3-6 ounces, and Nick rates it for 4-8. I think Tres' ratings are the most accurate of the 3, although I think 6 is pushing the upper limit.

John M also reports throwing 5 oz and bait with his with no problems.

Both the 1208 and the 1209 are the same price. Either one is a good choice. Those little 2 oz plugs may not load the 1209 very well, however.

Mike built my 1208 with 6 guides, and my buddy the Hawg man has one that Mike built with 7 guides. The 1208 doesn't have an ultra fast taper, I would describe it as a moderate/fast one.

Ditch,

Thanks for the clarification. I have the same problem with the way some of the manufacturers rate their boat blanks. The 1208 sounds like the way to go.

I just ordered a 1208 today to get to know the blank. I will build it over the winter and ktry it out East next season.

Al

Ditch,

Thanks for the clarification. I have the same problem with the way some of the manufacturers rate their boat blanks. The 1208 sounds like the way to go.

I just ordered a 1208 today to get to know the blank. I will build it over the winter and ktry it out East next season.

Al

Al, I just read the post to Ditch Jigger and your response to him. I think that I will hold back on my decision as to 1209 or 1208. Maybe some more info will become available as to the actual rating. Now that Ditch Jigger has said that a 5oz. and bait was no problem to cast with the 1208 maybe 2 oz. would also load okay.

My thanks to both of you for the info.

Stripped Gear (Bob)

It really depends what you will be throwing most. If you plan on mostly throwing 4 and 5 OZ Jigs , the 1209 is perfect. If you will be mostly 2 and 3 OZ jigs and plugs , the 1208 would be the rod. The 1208 is more of an all around rod for the ditch. The 1209 is for heavy jigging. And I agree with Ditch , the 1208 is not a 1-3 rod. I would say 2 to 5. I would say 3 to 10 for the 1209 with 4 and 5 being just right.

On either rod I'd put a BG7000CL spooled with 50 LB Spectron and I'd use a 50 LB Ande leader.

DitchJigger,

Thanks for your post regarding the 1209 and 1208. Your opinion that the 1208 would be a better all around rod for the ditch is what I want, an all around rod for now. If I find that I need to go to heavier jigs then I will build a 1209 next year. I thought that by using whiplash maybe I could get by on the lighter side of jigs.

When I say that building another rod next year I am assuming I will be succesful building the 1208 (first attempt at rod wrapping).

Stripped Gearbiggrin.gif

Good Luck on your first rod Stripped Gear. I'm sure Al has good advice for beginners. Only thing I will say is take your time and don't cut any corners. It will come out fine.