Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SurffishNJ

Gudie replacement / removal

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Al,

A quick question. I took your advise and flex coated the underwrap then placed the guides and flexcoated the overwrap. Now for the question. How, or what is the easiest way, to remove the gudies to replace them. I had a mishap that will require the repalcement of several guides. Any assistance you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thank again for all your time and assistance.

BBOTT

SurffishNJ@hotmail.com

Here's what I do. Cut the thread at the end of the wrap and pull it off while rotating the rod. I comes off pretty easy and the finish with it. My guess is you can sand down the coated underwrap so its smoth and just rewrap the guide on over it. If the underwrap has to come off , just peel it off the same way as the overwrap. The only problem will be where the finish went past the underwrap onto the rod blank. There , I carefully , very carefully , remove the excess finish with a razor. Then re do the whole guide. Since its hard to get every bit of finish off the blank where it went over the underwrap , put the new underwrap on just a little longer to cover it. My experience has been that if you are carefull and cover the old area well with the new overwrap , you can't even tell a repair has been made.

Warm the finish gently with a hair dryer to soften it a little. Then carefully make a cut onto of the guidefeet lengthwise using a single edge blade. Peel away the guide wraps.

Repeat the process with the underwraps but be careful not to cut into the blank wall.

Use some 400 grit sandpaper to remove any residual finish working slowly and carefully. Then clean the areas with iso alcohol and start to re-wrap.

That's it.