Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wahooboy3000

2 piece won't come apart

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I bought a ST. Croix Ben Doer Surf ss110M2 11 ft. sc graphite, up to 4 oz.

It is a 2 piece rod.

I purchased it used, the previous owner swore it would come apart, but I can't get it apart for the life of me.

I've tried:

- Pulling & twisting the rod apart with another person

and

- Icing down the male half of the rod but no luck.

Now I am thinking that the rod may have been glued together.

Anyone have any suggestions on other methods I can try?

Thanks

[ 03-13-2005, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Wahooboy3000 ]

You could try a hair dryer on the female side of the ferrule. If it was glued, particularly with 5 minute epoxy, it might soften up. Try using a couple of the rubber grippers they make for opening stubborn jars to help you get a good twist on the two halves.

Thanks Rich,

I have tried getting a better grip by using work gloves with rubber grips - no luck.

I have been hesitant to try heat for fear of damaging the rod. Do you think a hair dryer could generate enough heat to damage the graphite?

Lot of people over the years did glue them together. At least with the hair dryer WB you dont have much to lose, least you know it wont generate enough heat to harm the blank. My gut feeling is that it wont soften it enought but its worth a try. I know I wouldnt feel good putting the tip of a soldering gun on it.

If hte hair dryer doesnt work, might try a heat gun(if you know any painters or carpenters), most have two temp ranges. The one I own also has a slide cover which gives you a little further control. Id get a scrap piece of graphite from a local rodbuilder, like a piece cut off a butt, and test the heat on that first for damage.

Before you try the heat gun,try a rag or towel with hot or very warm water,just wrap it around the female part of the connection,let it sit for awhile,then try to separate the two.My .02cts.

Be careful when applying heat. Todays epoxy resin in graphite blanks normally starts to flow at 200 deg. Far. Some of the newer resins begin flowing at lower temp. that that.

I think I am going to skip the heat gun. I have access to one but I think it's to big a risk. I would just as soon leave it as a 1 piece.

Over the weekend I will try ice on the male side & a very hot towel on the female side & see what happens.

I'll post the results.

Any other ideas are welcome.

I have a Ben Doerr 10 footer 2 piece. The only problem with it is no matter what I do the tip section always turns in use. It is the reason all my other rods are one piece. I'm awfully tempted to epoxy it. Maybe the fact that yours is stuck is a good thing wink.gif

Attach the butt end to something high and attach a heavy weight to the tip section. Rig a line to the weight so it can only fall a few inches or else have the weight lower than the rod tip to prevent damaging the tip when they separate. Then wait for gravity to do the work.

I don't think a static load like that is going to do it. You can hang that rod for the next 10 years and I'll bet on it not budging. You need either a twist or a shearing force to break the friction. That is if there's no adhesive in the ferrule.