Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

Fun with Cork Tape - Part 1

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I seached the archives for Cork tape, I see how you guys build up the transition to eh blank at teh foregrip, then wrap over. Easy enough.

For the plate seat, few turns of electrical tape to hold it in place. Now my confusion begins. Should I apply a coat of finish over the electrical tape, then wrap with colorful threads? Or whould I wrap over the electrical tape, then put the finish. If directly over the tape, how hard is it to remove any gaps in the thread?

Now the butt cap - *** do I do here? I'm not using shrink tubing, I don't like how it looks. Should I glue it on, and do another ramp tapering from the cap to the cork tape, then wrap over that?

Any pictures you guys have, I'd like to see, especially of butt cap to cork tape connections.

Most folks just use the tape and that's it. No overwrap or finish. Crude but effective. Mostly cause you want to be able to move it. I had a professional rod builder once overwrap a plate type reel seat over cork but the cork base is too unstable and the wrap didn't last. Too much stress from the reel. Just went back to plain electrical tape.

Steve

For the butt cap just use cork tape right to the end of the butt and use a cap that fits snug over the tape. I use Home Depot Shepherd rubber tips. Think they are intended for furniture. Size 7/8 and one inch fit most surf stuff. About 5 for $2.49. Between the stretch of the rubber and the cork the right one will stay put with nothing else. My tips take a beating on the beach with the butt resting on the sand or rocks while unhooking fish. Sometines it gets used as a staff climbing rocks. These tips are water tight, durable and easily replaced.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve M (edited 04-26-2003).]