Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zimmy

gsb1321m

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Al,

I am going to build a gsb1321m conventional. Any idea for # of guides and butt length etc. I am thinking of taking a bit off the tip (the tip is currently an 11) and some length off of the butt. Any thoughts? Also I would like to build a rod for use on a boat. Maybe 7' or so conventional for bass and blues, fairly light up to a couple of ounces(most likely no wire). Are the glb's what I am looking for? Thanks for your help

Zimmy,

The GSB1321M is a substantial blank as is. Trimming from the tip will reaaly make it a club for casting. What application are you considering for it?

For guides I like the HNSG Fujis in sizes:20, 16, 16 and 12's out to the tip. The number of guides will be determined by the length and action of the blank after you do the trimming.

For a boat casting blank one of my favorites is the GLB901MT.

Al

Al,

The rod will be used by my father for the Outer banks up to eight and bait, maybe throwing heavier tin for rock, drum and blues. I would like to take some of the length off, maybe get down to 10' or so. I know down south they cut some tip off the GSB1502. I do not, however, want the rod altered so it only serves one purpose. I have been dealing with Clemens and the other blanks I was interested in(gsb 1021m and 1361mh) are history there. As is the GLB 901mt I tried to order earlier. Just curious,are the 1201m and 1321m cut from the same blank? I will miss Clemens as I would pick up my orders, save the shipping costs and get some pretty good advice. What other companies do you recommend for the future. Thanks

Zimmy,

The 1321M trimmed will probably work.

I have been close to Clemens for more then 25 years and they will be missed. I also like to visit them and talk shop. It's difficult to do it remotely.

There are other suppliers out there. Check out www.rodguild.com for there supporting suppliers. A good one is www.customtacklesupply.com, Bob McKamey.

Al

zimmy--as I understand it, the 120 1M and the 132 1M are basically the same, with the 120 missing the extra foot from the butt end. I know one builder who uses the 132 1M to make 10-footers when he doesn't have a 120 in his stock.

Thanks for the info guys...

Al, I talked to my father tonight and I get the impression he wants to leave it about the same length and use it pretty much only for heaving 8+ bait. Before I go at it, is the blank still a good choice for that purpose. I will stop bother you now...

Thanks

2 blanks to check out for 8nbait heaving are the breakaway 1508 and 1509. I live down on the OBX and they are an excellent choice for that type of fishing. The 1509 is the heavier model and is harder to load but can throw 10-12 oz if needed.

I am not familiar with the blank requirements for a "Heaver". Therefore, I would go with a local expert's recommendation like Savfish or contact one of the better OBX surf shops for their recommendation.

I have the GSB 1321M and it is too light to really get any distance with 8 and bait. If you are looking for a light heaver, you might consider the Breakaway 1418. Its kind of like a sooped up 132 as it also very versatil (sic?) in the weight range it will handle. It is also a little light for 8 and bait but it is a lot lighter than a true Hatteras Styled heaver. It will throw 6 and bait out of sight.

If your father is in good shape and truely only wants to cast 8 and bait, the Lami 1502, Breakaways 1509 and 1508s are good blanks.

Best of luck, Tom

Thanks for the info Duckwump... We have decided on a GSB1362mh (he'll have to get over that it is 2 piece). Clemens had one left a an excellent price and it should do what the old man is looking for. I will get the 1321m for myself for lighter pursuits. Appreciate all the help. Hopefully I will eventually be able to help others cwm15.gif.

[This message has been edited by zimmy (edited 09-23-2002).]