Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jklett

replacing cork grip

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I have a 10wt fly rod that I love the action on, but I hate the grip. For some reason they put a reversed half wells on it and it was fine until I got an 8wt with the full wells and realised the comfort that I was missing. Is it possible to replace the grip without either stripping the whole rod or destroying the reel seat? I would like to save as much as possible. If Im better off leaving well enough alone, as comfort is the only problem, please tell me. By the way, this rod is rather cheap, but I still like it in spite of the grip.

How many guides are on the bottom section (piece) of the rod? If only the stripper, you could remove it, install a new grip and replace it rather easily. Probably even if it as 2 guides. I try to avoid stuff likethis, no matter how easy other people tell me it is, so tke my advice for what it's worth.

If you do decide to do it, you couls sand down the existing grip to a uniform ID, sat 3/8", and install a pre-formed grip over it witha 3/8 ID bore - pretty much no reaming involved.

Thanks, I'm a bit slow with some stuff, I forgot that there's only 2 guides on the butt section! I probably will take your advice and leave it as is, but if I change my mind, I do like your idea about sanding down the grip, as I do have acess to a lathe. I guess it all depends on how long this winter lasts!