Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Toad in Nj

Used Rods

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Al,

I posted this on the main board and had a few replies but I should have posted here first.

I'm thinking about picking up a used rod, either and eight or nine footer.

Are their definite "do's" and "dont's" when looking at a used rod?

I look at my current rods and they all have somewhat of a rusted tinge around the guide seats, is this something too look for, to stay away from?

Thanks,

Todd confused.gif

[This message has been edited by Toad in Nj (edited 10-05-2000).]

Todd,

I read the replies on the Main Board and I totally agree with them.

Most used rods will show some battle scars. If its just normal wear then you probably could live with it. However, the points to look for were clearly pointed out. If the rod is not properly spined then you are waisting your money. Then, as was pointed out, any chipped guides will need to be replaced.

The first thing I would ask myself is whether the rod will do the job I want it for. I have built many rods over the years that did not perform to my expectation and they ended up going somewhere else.

Email mail me the specifics of the rod you are looking for: length, spin or conventional, lure and line weight and maybe I can point you in the right direction.

Al G.

Thanks Al, I wasn't looking to "put down" the advice that the others had given me and I hope it wasn't conveyed by me in that way, I was just curious if you had anything to add to it. I will email you what I am looking for.

Thanks again

Todd

Todd,

I didn't take it that way. When someone else makes a point that I agree with then there is no need for me to jump in. I know you just wanted my $.02 worth.

Al