Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gundalba

Q: SU1264F & XRA1204-2

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have absolutely no experience in rod building but my search for a bang for the buck, multi purpose rod got me knocking on this forum.

I am quite confused and slightly frustrated as well, facing diversity of choices yet not finding the rod I am dreaming of. Hope someone here can help me by pointing me a right direction.

The rod, I am hoping to find is for my Abu 6500CS/CL, about 10' length, 1-3Oz.(4 if I can be greedy), cross between my 11'4" 6&bait heaver & 8' Salmon/Steelhead rod.

I want to use it for something as light as perch grub setup to casting 3Oz. bucktail over 8' surf to play with stripers and halibuts.

As I often find myself wandering if I like catching a fish more or watching that lead disappearing over the horizon, casting distance is a crucial factor as well.

Per surf casting I often heard people praising Ron Arra Surf rod, which I truly believe in but am pitifully under budgeted, but also heard good deal of talk going about Rainshadow.

With somewhat tight budget (under $200 for complete rod, around $100 better biggrin.gif ) I could not find any factory built rod but found SU1264F (and possibly 1266F, Is Batson missing 1265F in their catalog?) with a good spec. match.

What I like to know are;

1. How does SU1264(6)F compare with XRA1204-2?

2. With less then $70 blank price for SU1264F, how much more should I expect to spend to have a decent rod built for me.

3. If I attempt to build one myself, what am I going to face with.

Many thanks in advance,

While I don't have experience with the exact rods you are asking about I built 2 Rainshadow SU1087s this fall. This is their nine foot rod rated 1-4 similar to the 1264. I found this to be a fantastic blank but it was much over rated in the weight it could actualy handle. If you really want it to be able to handle 4 oz you might want to look more closely at the 1266 and ask around some more.

My thanks to Springer about the caution on Rainshadows weight rating.

What kind of price range should I expect to pay to build a 1266F caster with similar quality parts and what would be the recomendations on parts?

I do not need any fancy wrapping, just a simple solid rod that can stand all the conditions on the surf. Though I would prefer to have cork handle if possible but cork tape, I can live with as well.

Thanks