Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JeffB

Recommendations on a blank

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a Lami blank labelled SB1362F at half price. In comparison to the other SB 1362F blanks there it is dark brown in color, versus the others honey, white or black and it had a faster action. In searching past SOL posts I conclude that it is S glass, as opposed to E glass, 13 foot, fast action, 2-5 oz casting weight, etc.

While the majority of the posts were around the use of the E glass version for a pencil popper rod I didn't see much on the S glass version.

My thoughts are to build it as is, probably conventional to cast heavier metal and plugs.

Any recommendations? Any thoughts on trimming it - or leaving it as is? Conventional vs spinning?

Thanks.

As a spinning rod, you could leave it at full length or trim it from the butt to about 10-1/2'.

For a conventional, I'd trim it from the tip. Do it little by little, until the action is where you want it. I took about 10" from mine, and the end result is a rod that's light as a feather but could stop an elephant in its tracks. The only caution I'd give you there is that this was one of the very first S-glass blanks and the tapers on the newer ones might be a little different, so don't take 10" as gospel.

Congrats on a great find. 2F S-glass blanks were discontinued quite some time ago and are getting harder to find. It's a great blank.

great blank I have a brand new blank un cut and never used and 1 thaT i cut to 10 8"

tip is a #16 I think and a foot off the butt

great for pikes and herring with a squidder or other fine reel icon14.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ditch, when you trimmed yours from the tip for conventional, what size tip did that result?

Thanks again.

Not sure--I think it's either a 16 or an 18 confused.gif