Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
striper hiker

Custom Rod

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

One day I'll know enough to build my own. But admittedly I am somewhat of a beginer. I've followed forums trying to edumacate m'self and hoped that what I learned would serv me well enough to at least offer up some specs. Love this sport and was offered a gift of a custom rod by a loved one. My question is about a custom rod built for me and whether it's as it should be.

Wanted an all around beefy casting rod that could if nec. be used as a bait stick. Talked with a guy that seemed to know what's what and went with his recommendations in the end. Decided on a 1418 Breakaway blank, Fuji SIC concept guides, no reel seat, matched with a Diawa Emblem X5000a. Fished it last weekend and casts great. (Caught loads of fish!) But on retrieval the line flaps excessivly and catches everytime on the hook holder mounted on the right just above top of the grip. (urg) Bottom of the butt to top of the grip is 36"; first guide is at 60" from bottom of butt and is a 40 (largest fuji sic?). The rest of the guides seem to be staggered well... next is a 30 21" away from the first, then a 20 another 18" away, the rest are 15" 12" 9" and another 7" to the tip. My sweet spot for the reel is (as far as I can tell) 24"-25" from the butt) (Asked for no reel seat so that I could test and figure it out using elec. tape. Although, elec. tape seems a bit too stretchable.)

Questions: Is the excessive line flapping from too small of a stripper guide for X5000a? Is the spacing correct for the guides that are there? Is there any way to improve the rod? How should I ask for such after the fact?

Appeciate any insight and wisdom that can be offered.

--SH

Ok, I'm not an expert at this stuff, but I feel I have a pretty good handle on it for someone my agesmile.gif First thing I noticed when reading your post, is that the stripper guide seems too close, which is probably causing excessive choking, which is in turn causing the slap. A 40 isn't too small for a big stick, say 10 or 11 feet, you just have to make sure it's positioned right to get good casts. I'm sure Al or someone who knows more will explain it better!

SH,

I think you have a problem or problems. My initial thought is that the stripper guide placement is too close to the face of the reel. This is causing the line to balloon out resulting in the line slap.

You may also have other assembly problems that are affecting the rod's casting performance. Without a careful examination of the rod, I could only guess.

As far as fixing the problem, the builder of the rod appears to have limited experience in building a rod of this type. At a minimum, the guides will need to be stripped off, repositioned and then rewrapped.

Good luck.

Al