Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Domer

Gorilla Glue

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried Gorilla Glue for rod building applications? I saw it in Restoration Hardware and it is advertised as an epoxy replacement with the same qualities--high strength, flexibility, waterproof, dries clear, but without the mixing or fumes. I also saw Elmer's Polyurethane glue in Home Depot which sounded like a similar product, but I'm not sure.

Domer,

I never heard of Gorilla Glue. I have been using Kardol or Rescoe Epoxy for years. It is a two part non flowing epoxy with the consistency of vaseline. They are both used in boat repair. Another excellent glue is Trondak U40 Rod Bond. Thse are my personal favrites to use. I am sure other builders use other epoxy glues.

I do not recommend any of the one-part glues like Elmer's since they dry by evaporation. Also, do not use 5-minute epoxy glue for glueing up grips or reelseats. You are asking for trouble.

Al

Domer,

I can't speak to Gorilla glue for use in rod building (today is my first foray into this world) but I have used is extensively for various woodworking projects. Here's what I know...

It is a one-part, moisture (environmental, i.e. humidity) cured adhesive that FOAMS excessively during the cure. It does form very nice wood-wood bonds but will not fill gaps nearly as well as epoxy (esp thickened). I can't imagine that it would serve your uses well due to the foaming problem, but when used as a bonding adhesive, the excess foams that invariably "bleeds" out, is very easy to remove, once cured.

Chris

Thanks for the answers. I was curious because the literature claimed that epoxy was being banned in parts of Europe because of its toxicity, and that Gorilla glue had all of the benefits of epoxy without the drawbacks. It's not cheap, but I thought it might be worth checking out since there was no mixing involved and I often get headaches from epoxy fumes. But, that foaming sounds messy, and I'm still wondering about the strength for grips and reel seats. The last thing I would want is to build a rod and have the reel seat loosen. It's not worth the risk.